• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which picture do you like better?

21 posts in this topic

#1 looks a little dark which seems to subdue the coin more. I like #2 better but the lighting is a little off center and a little too bright which seems to be dis-coloring the coin.

I like the first set better myself, yes they are a little dark and I need to play with the lights a little bit but the detail and the coins flaws show up much better.

You cannot see the hairlines to the right of Liberty's head and above the eagle's head in the second set. Also the scuff under liberty's chin barely shows up in the second set of pictures and in hand it looks just like the first picture.

The second set of pictures was taken with my camera on a tripod with the standing on its edge and the lights shining from above.

The first set of pictures was taken on my newly perchased copy stand with the lights shining down on the face of the coin.

Here are a couple more coins I quickly shot with the new setup this morning. I did not take multiple shots of any of these coins to try to get better pictures.

IMG_1711.jpg

IMG_1712.jpg

IMG_1705.jpg

IMG_1706.jpg

IMG_1722.jpg

IMG_1721.jpg

IMG_1709.jpg

IMG_1710.jpg

If I may offer a little constructive criticism, I'm not sure what's happening, but it seems like not quite enough light is reaching the coin. Is it possible the light source is angled too much? It just isn't easy to get a good feel for the surface texture.

Yes you need a lot more light from multiple sources but it looks like the shots are in focus for the most part so with additional light the shots could look pretty darn sweet since your using macro... :golfclap:

Much better! That makes a big difference.

How close are the lights to the coin? What settings are you using (manual mode, macro, aperture, shutter speed)? I think the pictures are a little dark, but that could be just because the lights are too far away from the coin - or possibly diffused too much. Of course, this could be a matter of taste, and you are developing your own style.

Great job, those pics are good :thumbsup: A little more practice, a little more tweaking, and we will be asking you for advice soon ;)

The lights are almost on top of the coin, the camera is also pretty close to the coin. I think you are right on the light being diffused too much. I think I need to find some thinner paper towels lol

I am using macro, manual and the shutter speed is set on 200 I believe. I am not sure what I have the aperture set at right now.

I usually do not diffuse my lights for brilliant white coins. On these, you want the luster to be shining and bold. Diffusion really comes in handy when you are trying to photo toned coins. Like all of the methods at our disposal, no methods works all of the time.

I learned not too long ago from Mark Goodman's site that using a faster shutter speed helps take a picture that is more in focus. In order to increase the shutter speed though, you need a better lit coin. I have been using shutter speed around 800, and I'll take several pics around there (some at 600, some at 1000, etc.). In conjunction with the high shutter speed, I put the f.stop somewhere around 3.2, 3.5, or sometimes even lower.

Maybe someone with a little more experience in photography can chime in?

Adding the extra light really helped out. Lighting is the key to nice looking photos. You can never have too much light. I mean you can, but within reason... Here is one I used 2 lights and a flash on...

cointest2.jpg

Bruce, when ever I try to use the flash the picture over exposes very badly.

The suggestions are helping me out a lot guys! I am noticing that it is a lot easier for me to get good shots of coins with satiny luster and cameo proofs. I am assuming that giving the camera a little bit of texture is helping it focus?

Such as,

IMG_2384a.jpg

IMG_2385a.jpg

IMG_2157.jpg

IMG_2161.jpg