• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Panama Question

6 posts in this topic

I recently bought a 1969 Panama proof set on eBay, mainly for the Balboa which in this set was still the same as a silver dollar (26.73g 0.900 fine silver), but I thought the dime, quarter and half would be clad since they are the same as US coins. The quarter and dime are what I expect, but the half looks to be silver, perhaps 40% silver. Did Panama use the same 40% silver composition on halves that the US did in the late 1960s? Whether it's silver or not, I can't complain since I paid less than $12 for the set including shipping!

A brief check of Krause confirms that Panama made 40% silver halves until 1972, although 71 and 72 were proof only. The half balboa in your set is indeed 40%. The lower denominations appear to have switch over to clad around the same time we did.

Thanks, I got lucky, I put in my bid at melt value, but thinking that the smaller denominations were also 90% silver! Luckily, I was the only bidder on the set, interesting that they did 40% silver halves later than we did, though it's not surprising since they issued full size silver Balboas (same specs as a US silver dollar) for circulation as late as 1966.