• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone collect Canadian, British or Bahama coins?

7 posts in this topic

As most of you hear all the time people inherit coins and don't know what to do with them. Well I'm another one. As you can see from my sig line I collect comics so I won't even pretend to know the first thing about collecting coins. That being said I'm looking to trade some Canadian, British and Bahaman coins. If anyone here dabbles in these type of coins please drop me a line. I'll post what they are tomorrow, I figured I'd start this thread before I forgot. Thanks in advance.

Bob

There are a number of us here who collect such baubles. :)

I remember back in the '70s looking at Bahamas proofs newly issued from the Franklin Mint and thinking, "Hoo doggies-- if them ain't the purdiest coins I ever did see!" Only later did I learn that just 'cause something's purdy don't make it worth collecting.

The Bahamas issued some cool mint sets back in the late 1960s that were struck by the Royal Mint and contain silver. I still think those are cool.

Pre-1950s Canadian coins seem to appeal a bit more to "serious" collectors, but I've bought quite a bit of the post-1964-made-for-collectors junk. I have something of a love/hate relationship with recent Canadian collector coins. The George V and before stuff, though, is heavenly. :cloud9:

I have a few of the late 1960s, early 1970s proof sets that I bought for melt, pretty coins as long as you don't pay much more than melt in my opinion.

I love the Canadian dollar voyager design. The early large cents are also very nice. The modern stuff is getting as bad as the US Mint. At least the Canadians use technological innovations such as holograms, colorization, reverse proofing, etc.

I love the Canadian dollar voyager design.

Yea, verily.

I think the 1936 dollar is the most attractive Canadian coin ever minted. I could collect multiples of them, and I carry one as my pocket piece.

Another question does anyone buy canadian circulated coins strictly for the melt value? Just curious as I have finally made a small list of the pieces that I plan on putting in a sales thread here shortly. Thanks again for the helpful info.