• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Speaking of toned coins....

24 posts in this topic

I just got this beautiful, shining, lustrous, absolutely original mint set Franklin from TonedCoinTrader. It is graded NGC MS-66FBL, and both sides feature deep blue mint set toning, speckled through with amber flecks. There are also hints of sky blue/indigo in places. The bell lines are full, although 1957 generally has weak bell lines. Although the 1957 is deceptively cheap in all grades (Numismedia lists the 1957 in 66FBL at $150), it is impossibly hard to locate in gem+ condition with Full Bell Lines. There are a few more marks than I would have expected for a 66, especially on his bust, but the luster makes up for it - bright, shining, dripping luster on both sides! It upgrades a 65FBL I had with a crescent of red on the reverse (shown below, and now for sale if you want to make an offer)

85667.jpg.d84877390d87d7f383d968eb957ea7b7.jpg

85668.jpg.7721a5684b1c0ce1acc008b107b338d3.jpg

85669.jpg.f668e5968d2cf4db5afc50da7659cc01.jpg

85670.jpg.60772474af9cf98afde940b50a0d0a8a.jpg

Your new coin looks better struck if I'm reading the photos correctly. I do like that look. When I saw the photo and before even seeing the bottom of the first shot I thought "man that is a cool '56", but it wasn't, I got the date wrong. Lots of '56s look like that. I examine many '56s because that is my birth year. :)

Your new coin looks better struck if I'm reading the photos correctly. I do like that look. When I saw the photo and before even seeing the bottom of the first shot I thought "man that is a cool '56", but it wasn't, I got the date wrong. Lots of '56s look like that. I examine many '56s because that is my birth year. :)

My '56 has mint set toning also, but is a much softer look. It is speckled baby blue and amber, with a crescent of aquamarine across the bottom. It too is graded 66FBL, because they are so cheap! It seems to me that '56 more commonly tones in shades of red, gold, and brown, whereas the '57 is much more commonly blue, violet, and indigo. Here is my '56:

641824-001O.jpg

641824-001R.jpg

Here is a 1956 Half I pulled out of an original sealed 1956 Double mint set.....I believe many would state the coin was AT...with or without the story but this holdered fine at NGC and sold for a substantial premium as it is one of the most colorful 1956 Halves on the planet. Had I been financially able I should have kept it as it is irreplaceable :cloud9:

1956MintSet015.jpg

1956MintSet018.jpg

the other 1956 in the same set wasn;t too shabby either....but again if you don't like wild colors then I am sure some of you are having to look away at this point lol

1956MintSet006.jpg

1956MintSet010.jpg

Hot tamales those are AMAZING Shane! I have never seen a 56 like either of those, not to mention precious few mint set toners of any date with vibrancy like that!

First off, I'd agree that those are very attractive coins, Shane. :applause: Second, I've definitely seen other '56's with colors like that. Those are actually classical colors for a '56 (although obviously without that sort of a mix). I've got a couple of very nice Frankies from a '56 mint set where one turned the classical blue of a P mint Frankie and the other turned that sort of a predominantly gold and red, with green and blue highlights. I never bothered to slab them as I prefer them raw, although I'd grade them MS65-6 with serious shots at FBLing. I've also seen a fair amount slabbed with that sort of gold/red coloring. In any case, why didn't you let me know they were for sale, Shane? :baiting:

Hot tamales those are AMAZING Shane! I have never seen a 56 like either of those, not to mention precious few mint set toners of any date with vibrancy like that!

First off, I'd agree that those are very attractive coins, Shane. :applause: Second, I've definitely seen other '56's with colors like that. Those are actually classical colors for a '56 (although obviously without that sort of a mix). I've got a couple of very nice Frankies from a '56 mint set where one turned the classical blue of a P mint Frankie and the other turned that sort of a predominantly gold and red, with green and blue highlights. I never bothered to slab them as I prefer them raw, although I'd grade them MS65-6 with serious shots at FBLing. I've also seen a fair amount slabbed with that sort of gold/red coloring. In any case, why didn't you let me know they were for sale, Shane? :baiting:

They were sold long ago and I don't know why....I don't know if you and I were actively talking about your passion for Toned Franklin halves back then....I just don't know but I guarantee you would have jumped at the chance to own them for the price they sold for lol

I wasn't happy with the reverse pic I had of my new '57, so I took some new ones (actually, 40 new ones!) This brings the total shots for the reverse to about 80, to get just one I am happy with. Tell me if you think this is an improvement.

85715.jpg.f628048321d4f5d6a4fd65e03423d34f.jpg

I just picked this up last weekend, and thought it was quite a nice example of how even black can look nice in the right context. I really liked the effect, and for $14.25, how can you go wrong?

001-10.jpg

002-7.jpg

The obverse actually has quite a bit of luster underneath.....I really need to clean the filmy back glass on my scanner. ;)

Can we see all 80? :whistle: Looks good Jason. I do like the 2nd one better. (thumbs u

I deleted them, because most of them were major *spoon*. Out of the 80, there were only a couple that I was happy with. I'm nowhere near the skill level of people like you Bob!

Amadeus, I've got something similar to that going on with my 1950D NGC 64FBL.

2525751-018R.jpg

Regarding Jason's '50-D, that's actually a not uncommon pattern for mint set Frankies... to have the toning "outline" the raised devices.

Regarding Jason's '50-D, that's actually a not uncommon pattern for mint set Frankies... to have the toning "outline" the raised devices.

As usual, you are correct ;) I saw a beautiful '50 that matched this one perfectly, but the guy wanted way too much money for it.

Can we see all 80? :whistle: Looks good Jason. I do like the 2nd one better. (thumbs u

I deleted them, because most of them were major *spoon*. Out of the 80, there were only a couple that I was happy with. I'm nowhere near the skill level of people like you Bob!

Amadeus, I've got something similar to that going on with my 1950D NGC 64FBL.

2525751-018R.jpg

nice! I've got a real soft spot for that rich chocolate and cinnamon brown toning. love it.