• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What single assigned grade would you expect to see on a coin that..

14 posts in this topic

1) Is an MS65 on the obverse and an MS63 on the reverse?

2) Is an MS63 on the obverse and an MS65 on the reverse

3) Is an MS65 on the obverse and an MS64 on the reverse?

4) Is an MS64 on the obverse and an MS65 on the reverse?

Thanks.

1) Is an MS65 on the obverse and an MS63 on the reverse? MS64

2) Is an MS63 on the obverse and an MS65 on the reverse MS63

3) Is an MS65 on the obverse and an MS64 on the reverse? MS64

4) Is an MS64 on the obverse and an MS65 on the reverse? MS64

I have alrways felt the Obverse carried the grade so I would never grade a coin above the obverse grade. In the case of a super nice obverse with a dog reverse I feel the obverse could bump the overall grades one point...so in the case of the MS65 obv and MS63 rev I could see it going up to an overal MS64.

Impossible to say without knowing the type of coin, rarity, and reason for the lower grade (a scrape may be viewed more harshly than impaired luster, and a carbon spot on a copper coin would be viewed significantly worse than unattractive toning on a Morgan). An 1880-S Morgan will likely get a lot more leeway than an 1877 Indian cent.

Generally, I'd expect the following:

1) Is an MS65 on the obverse and an MS63 on the reverse? MS64

2) Is an MS63 on the obverse and an MS65 on the reverse MS63

3) Is an MS65 on the obverse and an MS64 on the reverse? MS65

4) Is an MS64 on the obverse and an MS65 on the reverse? MS64

I agree with Greg and PerryHall. And it realy does depend on the specific coin in question, but generally these answers are what I would expect. The obverse does carry the grade in most cases; and as long as the reverse is close, the obverse grade is going to win almost every time, as in example 3.

Thanks.

1----ms64

2---ms63

3---ms64

4---ms64 the most common of them all and most all morgans graded ms64 are like this

Not necessarily fair but what I would expect. Not since the 80's(I think) have coins been split graded as they should be.JMO

Jim

Thanks.

Take the lowest of the two grades and put a "star" next to it.

Here's the way I would call it from a slab grade perspective:

#1 - MS-64

#2 - MS-63

#3 - MS-65

#4 - MS-64

Generally the obverse accounts for about 70% of the grade and reverse sort of comes along for the ride UNLESS there something really wrong with the reverse. A real Gem quality reverse simply does not have enough influence to raise the overall grade IMO. The coin with the MS-65 obverse and MS-63 reverse should never get an MS-65 IMO, but it's possible, especially with bulk graded material.

I once owned a Morgan that had an MS64 Obverse and an MS68 reverse...I kid you not it was the cleanest reverse I had ever seen on a Morgan. It was in an NGC MS64 holder.......and I agreed with the grade but felt I got a lot of coin for my money since the reverse was the rainbow toned side :cloud9: