• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heraldic Eagles

17 posts in this topic

Here are images of each denomination that depicted the Heraldic Eagle reverse design. I am curious does anyone know why the quarter was the only one where the denomination was indicated?

b20-1800-half-d.jpg

b20draped_bust_dime.jpg

1806_quarter_copy.jpg

b20_draped_bust_half.jpg

b20-1803dbd.jpg

Boiler, will you adopt me? Those are fabulous.
Pretty sure I asked that a long time ago... so I'm first in line!!! :D

I'm sure he has enough room for the both of us. :foryou:

Probably because it was the last coin to adopt the design.

The dime and dollar had it in 1798, the half dime in 1800. The Half dollar acquired it in 1801, but the quarter didn't get the design until 1804 and by that time they were probably coming to the conclusion that having a denomination on the coins was a good idea. By that time the dollar had already been discontinued and the half dime was not in production either (it would get one more years coinage in 1805.) That left two other coins with the heraldic eagle that year, the dime with it's small size and reeded edge could get by without a denomination, and the half dollar had its denomination spelled out on the lettered edge. Well the quarter was too thin for lettering and so they put the denomination in the field an either side of the tail feathers. This is speculation, but it is reasonable.

The reason "25C" might have been to avoid confusion between the quarter and the half dollar. Although the quarter was thinner and lighter, the diameter was just 5 mm less than the half dollar. The half dollar also had edge lettering that gave it a value, unlike the quarter which had a reeded edge. The quarter was just too thin that have edge lettering.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I believe the value was stated on the quarter dollar because there were two Spanish coins of similar size circulating in the USA at the time. The Spanish Colonial two reales piece of fine silver was valued at 25 cents, and the Spanish Mainland two reales, which was debased and known as a Pistareen, was valued at only 20 cents.

Boiler, will you adopt me? Those are fabulous.
Pretty sure I asked that a long time ago... so I'm first in line!!! :D

Since you guys are at the front of the adoption line,

Boiler, will you marry me????? lol:)

:signfunny:

Made me laugh.