• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The wedding present...

20 posts in this topic

Some of you may recall a thread a while back where I got a couple of gold coins for a wedding present for a close friend of mine. He was marrying a British woman so I decided to buy a sovereign and half eagle from 1903, a century before they married. At that time some suggested getting a holder from Capital plastics for them, so I finally ordered one and it arrived today. Here is a picture, what do you think?

MT.jpg

Well I don't think they are coin collectors, but I plan on writing them a detailed note to explain the history and symbolism of the coins.

Yes I do recall the thread and I think you've done nicely. However, you may have created a couple of "gold-collecting" monsters. Seriously though it is a great present and I doubt they will receive any duplicates of yours!

I believe mine is the FD-73, I bought it off U-bid sometime in 2000. It's certainly not fancy or very advanced, but it does the job I need it to do!

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

That's a nice memento, but may I make one suggestion? If you switch the positions of the coins they will match the nationalities of the individuals by name.

That's a nice memento, but may I make one suggestion? If you switch the positions of the coins they will match the nationalities of the individuals by name.

Well, here's the thing, and I actually put a lot of thought into this, the holes are different sizes, so switching is not so easy, but I wanted the images to face each other as they do, and despite the mismatch of the nationalities, the sexes match, which was more important to me. In any case, there are about 100 different ways to do this, but this was the way I liked best.

Great gift, but you know you really screwed your friend Mike. For the rest of his marriage, his gifts will always be viewed in comparison to your wedding gift. No simple token of love will ever suffice compared to your gift. grin.gif

Jeff, beautiful coins and holder! I am sure any two coins from 1903 would have sufficed, but you really show your closeness and feelings of friendship with gold.

Something they will treasure forever.

thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

David

Do you give anniversary gifts? I've got one coming up in August if you need some lead time to plan.

You know, it's funny, but I am absolutely horrible with remembering birthdays or anniversaries! confused.gif Generally, I give gifts for either one time events like this one, or things that happen on the same day for everybody every year, like Christmas. I barely remember my parents anniversary, and come to think of it I'm not sure I even sent them a card last year. foreheadslap.gif So bottom line, this may be a nice gift, but it's likely to be the last one they ever get from me! sorry.gif