• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pondering a Polished Peace

11 posts in this topic

I have run across a Peace dollar that ANACS graded MS60 Details/polished for what I think is a nice price. If purchased, it would be cracked out and put into an album.

Would carrying it as a pocket piece for a while, or trying the Taco Bell napkin trick give it a more natural look?

Opinions needed...

I've carried a harshly cleaned Morgan in my pocket for a couple yrs now and it's beginning to look more polised/buffed than natural. If it's just for an album, I would say go with the napkin if I was considering either of the 2 choices.

Duct tape it to the lid of the out house, that environment will tone anything! :sick:

Naw...just kidding around. I find that once a silver coin has been polished, no light amount of letting it just lay around will change the surface. If anything, it's got to be stripped first in order to remove any oxide film that has built up since it was buffed.Then try sandwiching it between two old Mint Proof cardboard liners with rubber bands, you know, those cardboard protectors that came in the envelopes from 1955-1963, try that.

Duct tape it to the lid of the out house, that environment will tone anything! :sick:

Naw...just kidding around. I find that once a silver coin has been polished, no light amount of letting it just lay around will change the surface. If anything, it's got to be stripped first in order to remove any oxide film that has built up since it was buffed.Then try sandwiching it between two old Mint Proof cardboard liners with rubber bands, you know, those cardboard protectors that came in the envelopes from 1955-1963, try that.

Don't use rubber bands! Use twine or something like that!

Eh, as long as the rubber bands don't come in contact with the coin it shouldn't be anything to worry about. I think the cardboard would protect from the rubber.

Only buy it if it's one of the three keys (1921, 1928 or 1934-S), and CHEAP. Peace dollars are too common and inexpensive in general to overpay for a polished, and therefore damaged, example.

Wouldn't you buy a common date if it were well below melt? :devil:

1921 Peace dollars seem to be poorly understood by dealers and collectors. They are not rare, and you should be able to find a very nice coin, well struck, for a reasonable price. A little honest circulation is much preferred over something that has been altered by polishing or harsh cleaning. Likewise, you don’t need some TPG-holdered “MS-175” at outrageous $$$.

Pick up a copy of my book “A Guide Book of Peace Dollars” (Whitman Pub. LLC, 2008) and read the section on 1921s. At $19.95, it will likely save you a lot of angst down the road.