• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess/Offer a grade on this 1883 Liberty Nickel. **Grade Revealed**

14 posts in this topic

Just came today. This coin is to replace a coin in my type set that I wasn't happy with. Excellent Luster, I'm not a liberty nickel guy, but I think the strike is good.

There is some die polish on the reverse, and I think it was also struck with a rusted die.

1883O2.jpg1883R2.jpg

I am not a V nickle either but it does indeed look very nicely struck up. lol

If that is all die polish lines on the reverse and not hairlines I would say that ANACS gave it a MS64/64

Just came today. This coin is to replay a coin in my type set that I wasn't happy with. Excellent Luster, I'm not a liberty nickel, but I think the strike is good.

There is some die polish on the reverse, and I think it was also struck with a rusted die.

That is a nice strike for that issue, which often exhibits a number of weak stars on the obverse, among other soft areas. It looks like a 65 to me.

I'd grade the first Liberty Nickel as a high end MS-64 with a shot at MS-65. I think it has a couple minor spots that might keep it out of the MS-65 category.

I can easily see why the second is an MS-60. The marks on the edge would cause that. If they were much worse the coin would be a no grade.

I'm probably the wet blanket here. My guess is MS-63.
Regardless of what the assigned grade ends up being, based on the images provided, I can't fathom how/why you would assign such a low grade to that coin.

An MS63 should be much more obviously and heavily abraded and or exhibit other problems. And again, my comments stand, no matter how low the assigned grade, as our guesses must be based on the images.

As a novice that has consistently graded too high in the forum, I will go along with Mark's 65. But if my grading pattern holds up, the coin will grade 64.

I like it!

I'm probably the wet blanket here. My guess is MS-63.
Regardless of what the assigned grade ends up being, based on the images provided, I can't fathom how/why you would assign such a low grade to that coin.

An MS63 should be much more obviously and heavily abraded and or exhibit other problems. And again, my comments stand, no matter how low the assigned grade, as our guesses must be based on the images.

There is a scratch on Liberty's neck, and I don't like that to be present at a grade of MS-64 or higher. I really don't have any other useful (shrug) rationale for my guess, though!

Thanks for playing guys.......

The first nickel is graded MS65/63 on the old Anacs certificate. Average the two sides out and it's a 64, and I think that's what it would grade today.

The nickel this is replacing is graded MS60/60 on the certificate. I think it's probably a 61 maybe a 62 by today's standards.