• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Photo Contest - Anyone interested? Imaging order now listed

57 posts in this topic

I do have a TrueView of this PR64 BN Lincoln, but after knocking my head against the wall trying to come close to Phil, I thought others might like to try their hand with it. You or I won't have the advantage of imaging the coin raw like Phil did.

$100 goes to the winner. The winner will be chosen based on a pole posted on this forum. When all the images are received, I will assign a number to each entry that connects the image to the owner.

Image size should be no larger than 640x640

Postage from one member to the next Priority plus $500 insurance. I will reimburse the mailing cost to each member. I won't reimburse any headache medicine costs incurred, however.

If interested please send a PM.

The coin's reverse at first looks like a small pool of grape juice, but under the lights it brightens up to an almost hot pink on the lower two thirds to a candy apple green towards the top. It doesn't seem to translate that way in my images though. If you are up to the challenge, here's your chance.

Here is the TrueView and then a few of my feeble attempts.

03793967-2.jpg

1938prObv_007.jpg

1938prObv_008.jpg

1938prRev_019.jpg

1938prRev_001.jpg

1938prRev_011.jpg

1938prRev_016.jpg

I'm in, but will insist on paying postage to the next victim.

I want to get at least 10 people involved. As soon as we get enough people, I'll contact everyone and map out a strategy on logistics. Can't wait to see some results. :)

I'm in, but will insist on paying postage to the next victim.
I did a photo contest ATS once, with a MPL from lasvegasteddy. I too insisted on paying the postage to the next person. I would love to participate, but of course only if you will allow me to pay shipping / insurance to the next recipient. I'll PM you my info.

Great Bobby. I think you'll have a lot of fun with it.

Wann add to Bob that don't worry about postage here either. I don't mind paying that for the chance at the big pot! lol I'm guessing when you have all the challengers you want, you'll pm us for info that you need? (thumbs u

I'm going to leave the entry period open until 8:00 PM (Pacific) tomorrow nite. Then I'll get everyone's information and get the order lined up geographically. I'll be in touch with everyone.

I have enough trouble photographing the "easy" ones... so I'll watch from the sidelines and anxiously await the results. lol

Same with me. Can't wait to see the other attempts.

I'd offer to try, but I'm going to be WAY too busy throughout Sept.

The coin will start off in the west. So if you live somewhere towards the east, it probably won't get there for a couple of months. I figure that with a day or so to image and travel time of 3-5 days between contestants, we'll be lucky to finish with 6 people per month. So far we have 20, so we are looking at around a 4 month contest. Hopefully shorter, but they usually seem to take a bit of time to complete.

I'd like to give it a shot if you don't have too many people already.

To help speed things along it would be good if people promised to turn around the coin in no longer than 2 days, don't you think? Say if the coin arrives in Monday's mail it must go out in Wednesday's mail. Arrive Saturday, ship Monday.

To help speed things along it would be good if people promised to turn around the coin in no longer than 2 days, don't you think? Say if the coin arrives in Monday's mail it must go out in Wednesday's mail. Arrive Saturday, ship Monday.

I agree with you, the faster the better. I think spending more than a day imaging this one will drive you nuts. :insane: It would be nice to get this done in 3 or less months.

Bob,

I will be in as long as I can be near the end. I don't have a macro lens for my new camera yet.

Paul

Hey Paul,

If you are in the east, you will probably have a couple of months.

Bob........I needed you to photograph my IHC proofs. I believe I will ride the sidelines on this one too. Looking forward to seeing some of the results. There are some really talented photographers here and ATS.

Dean

Bob........I needed you to photograph my IHC proofs. I believe I will ride the sidelines on this one too. Looking forward to seeing some of the results. There are some really talented photographers here and ATS.

Dean

I agree Dean it's is way out-a my league. If Bob can't do it i know i can't come close. Will be looking forward to those other photos though.36_14_13.gif10_1_102v.gif

The coin will start off in the west. So if you live somewhere towards the east, it probably won't get there for a couple of months. I figure that with a day or so to image and travel time of 3-5 days between contestants, we'll be lucky to finish with 6 people per month. So far we have 20, so we are looking at around a 4 month contest. Hopefully shorter, but they usually seem to take a bit of time to complete.

Colorado's fairly far west.

Colorado's fairly far west.

If you want to get in, we can make your part of Colorado be on the homecoming route. Let me know.

Thank you to all who decided to enter the contest and to all the replies. Here is the list of entrants. It is made up of members here and ATS. The final tally of the combined scores of both forums will decide the winner. There are some real heavy weights and should be a fun and interesting contest.

If I've left anyone off the list, please contact me and I will fix it.

After all the addresses are received, I'll map out the route and get the coin sent out, hopefully early tomorrow.

Good luck to everyone and have fun with it.

FEC

Frnklnlvr

Direwolf1972

pheh

Morgandollar1878

BillyGoatsGruff

Blue62vette

Messydesk

DMWJR

Soty27

Airplanenut

Bochiman

rgCoinGuy

physics-fan3.14

bsshog40

James_EarlyUS

Coindude

Relicsncoins

Mgoodm3

Renomedphys

Carl Wohlforth

Lehigh96

Crazyhounddog

morgansforever

astrostu

Hey, who let that Mgoodm3 guy join? I thought guys who wrote books about photographing coins weren't allowed! ;) JK, though he is the bar, the man to beat!

He's just a flash in the pan, the color of the month. :devil: Besides he needs the money.

ROFL... man, there are some really heavy hitters there. As I was reading your list I kept saying in my head (had to say it in my head lest my co-workers think I'm crazier than they already do!)....

So I was thinking.... Wow.... Wow..... Wow..... Double Wow..... then I got to certain names and said Holy Wow! All I know is that when you finally get good pics of this coin, and if most pay their own shipping / insurance, then you are going to really get your photo's worth for $100 smakolas!

If I turn out to be in the bottom 1/3rd I'd be amazed.

Just on another note, the last photo contest I joined I did not vote for myself, nor will I this time I'm sure. I voted for the eventual winner who I truly thought did the best job after seeing the coin in hand. I will do the same this time as well.

Suggestions:

1. run the list (and the contest) in alphabetical order so it will be easier to track

2. require contestants to post to this thread when they receive the coin

3. require contestants to post a tracking # to this thread when they forward the coin

4. use a small secure shipping carton that we can all reuse rather than padded envelopes

Great fun (thumbs u !