• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This isn't an error is it??

12 posts in this topic

I was looking at my 2 1 oz. Platinum Unc's and I noticed what looks like an anomaly of sorts. I'm not much of a Platinum collector so I thought I'd ask those that know more about them. My coins both have what appears to be a partial ring (?) just below the rim at the 9-12 position. Please see attached pics.

Any thoughts to if this is normal or not?

85199.jpg.06934a33fe7cfd3095ca23979aa9323c.jpg

85200.jpg.670808cab8d30908d525130ebccbe103.jpg

Are you referring to the "Railroad Rim"? It's a slightly raised rim above that of the coin edge? If so, it's natural.

Does the term Railroad Rim refer to the raised portion being parrallel to the rim? Also if it was meant to be there why doesn't it go completely around the coin?

I did some research looking for pictures of the same coin to see if it was on any others and I couldn't find one that looked the same. That I don't understand because they all should have it shouldn't they?

Thanks for your help!

Ok I did some research on the term "railroad rim" and that's not what this is. It does not look like a rail car wheel from edge on and from what I read it has to be looked at from edge on.

Any other thoughts?

I saw an article in Coin World a few years ago speculating on what causes this effect, whether it be a die wharping or a buckling of the planchet during striking. This is very common on Lincoln cents and you will see it frequently. I dont know if they ever determined the causes or not, and I do not know if its commonly found on bullion issues, so I cant help with a value on it.

Thanks everyone for your help! I figure since the coins are of a limited mintage to start with (4065 or so) this small error makes them even more scarce. To be honest I would've preferred they were without the defect. I'm guessing this defect will keep them from grading at the MS70 level since they aren't perfect.

I can't believe I just noticed this but does anyone else see the blindfold in a different color. That isn't normal is it? This coin is getting weirder all the time. lol

Okay I got some help from another coin forum and one of their guys says the discoloration is a strike through error. I'm starting to think that the coins I bought are pieces of . Maybe it's time to sell them. Hmmm food for thought.

I know squat about platinum other than it is a precious metal, but I still do not know what you are referring to between 9 and 12 O'clock?

Is it ON the rim, outside the rim, inside the rim...what I am seeing is a shadow from the holder where the gasket sits, but other than that I see no anomaly unless you are referring to a partial wire rim that is protruding above the stacking rim?

Platinum is extremely dense and from what I hear, the mint had nothing but troubles getting these coins to strike up properly.

As far as the coloration of the blindfold on Justice, a strike through? That has me wondering if in fact that is the correct answer. I do not know.

Good luck.

I know squat about platinum other than it is a precious metal, but I still do not know what you are referring to between 9 and 12 O'clock?

Is it ON the rim, outside the rim, inside the rim...what I am seeing is a shadow from the holder where the gasket sits, but other than that I see no anomaly unless you are referring to a partial wire rim that is protruding above the stacking rim?

Platinum is extremely dense and from what I hear, the mint had nothing but troubles getting these coins to strike up properly.

As far as the coloration of the blindfold on Justice, a strike through? That has me wondering if in fact that is the correct answer. I do not know.

Good luck.

It is inside the rim. It's not a shadow from the holder as there is no holder! It basically parallels the rim but not exactly. You can see where it intersects the lettering and changes the lettering.

As far as the blindfold I've had others call it a strike through too.

I still don't know what it does to the value. I've done several searches for other platinum errors but can't find any.

Thanks for your help Woody.