• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's up with this 1913 Buffalo?

9 posts in this topic

This 1913 Buff's neck (throat) looks different than any I have seen before. Is this due to a late die state? Appreciate your opinions.

1913-toned-3.jpg

1913-toned-4.jpg

1913-toned-1.jpg

1913-toned-2.jpg

My first impression was wondering if this has been acid washed and maybe a little too much?? I don't know much about dies so don't take my answer to heart.

If it were a die clash, it will appear directly under the Indian’s chin spelling out some of the letters of UNIUM, up-side down and backwards.

Looking at the softness (mushiness) of the date and LIBERTY near the rim edge, one would have to think it is a normal LDS (Late Die State)

The die deterioration can also be seen in some of the flow areas in the recesses of the devices.

Irregardless, this is still a nice Buffy!

Enjoy your coin!

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Agreed, it's die erosion/deterioration. The same effect is seen on the 1937-D 3-leg variety at the Indian's neck.