• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

In the Raw! Post your best/worst Raw Coin acquisition

30 posts in this topic

Oh what a surprize! a V Nickel.....I love um :grin:

This 1906 is one of only a few raw coins that actually surpassed auction grade and expectation.

Share your raw ones

85162.jpg.5693628008a7ad87c7689e0110ca30bd.jpg

85163.jpg.db6f286d7f60e166ac6e28de66e8a35b.jpg

I have relatively few nice raw US coins, although the best is this 1827 O-140 R-4 (my first CBH)

JPA755obverse.jpg

JPA755reverse.jpg

In the foreign category, I have a bit better selection (as in, my entire foreign collection).

JPW586obverse.jpg

JPW586reverse.jpg

JPW578obverse.jpg

JPW578reverse.jpg

Best in cost and outcome.You guys are probably getting tired of this one.But,it belongs here. $30.00 plus grading fee.Almost returned it to Ebay seller. Can't think of my worst raw at the moment.

1880SDMPL641.jpg

1880SDMPL642.jpg

Hey dean1435,

Did you have an idea it might be more than it was listed as? With my 80S DPL the seller used a generic picture of an 80s with some contrast.No tononing.That's it. I was pissed(at first) when I got it.

The ebay seller listed it as a 1888 proof but I guess I was the only one that believed it. I was very surprised when I won it. I had a max bid of $155! Glad their wasn't any shilling going on.

The ebay seller listed it as a 1888 proof but I guess I was the only one that believed it. I was very surprised when I won it. I had a max bid of $155! Glad their wasn't any shilling going on.

My seller just had no clue.Or a little less than I did anyway.

This half eagle was described as VF when purchased raw. Now sits in an accurately graded NGC AU-58 holder. The coin is also semi-PL which does not show in my crappy pics.

2500267-001O.jpg

2500267-001R.jpg

I'm assuming by raw coins you didn't mean any new ones.

Here's my best raw one. It's the Maine Commemorative from 1920.

This was my first raw early commemorative and I was really excited about it, especially since it graded as MS65.

I'll have to search my files for the worst raw pickup and make a separate post.

85211.jpg.805717996f0af40a404745031fd53366.jpg

85212.jpg.b7c98aa4906563130ee558eed3239022.jpg

This one was purchased off of Ebay years ago raw from one of those "Estate Sales". Don't remember what I paid, but it was inexpensive. It is my favorite "Raw" buy. Now in an NGC AU 50 holder.

100_1202.jpg

100_1198.jpg

I’m almost embarrassed to post this coin - one of the first few coins that I bought. I actually submitted this coin to NGC. I feel like such a doh!

Trade.jpg

I’ve bought a number of wonderful coins raw from TomB, a few from Zach, and one or two from Victor but I don’t know that those really count as I was relying on their expertise. The below coin I bought raw on the bay and sent it to my dad as a fathers’ day present. That’s the nicest, albeit not the most expensive, one that comes to mind.

DadsFranklin.jpg

I have a large number of graded coins but most have been raw which I later had graded. All are world coins.

Considering that I buy almost exclusively by mail and internet, I think I have done well.

From the standpoint of cost, it would be my 1892 South Africa ZAR penny that I bought for $50 (Krause catalog value for UNC) in 2002. It is now graded NGC MS-64 RB PL, one of four PL (3 RB) in the combined census of about 700.

Another example is one included in my latest submission which was finalized today. A 1954 South Africa 6P for which I paid $12 is now NGC PR-68 Cameo. It is one of the few silver cameo in the census and the only one of this coin out of 42.

On the negative side, I paid about $600 for a South Africa 1925 "red uncirculated" half penny last year. It came back from NCS as "AU details improperly cleaned" and I later dumped it for $75. Its the last time I'll ever trust that dealer again.

On the negative side, I paid about $600 for a South Africa 1925 "red uncirculated" half penny last year. It came back from NCS as "AU details improperly cleaned" and I later dumped it for $75. Its the last time I'll ever trust that dealer again.

OUCH!

OUCH!

Entirely correct. Let this be a lesson to everyone not to rely on reputation. I ASSUMED incorrectly that because this dealer had 30 years of exprience and was one of the leading dealers in these coins, that this would not happen. In addition to selling me a problem coin, this dealer is also apprently color blind. As part of the same group, I also bought several other "red" bronze coins that were not even close to red. The were obviously red/brown.

There is also another dealer here in the US that I have bought from before that occasionally sells problem material mixed in with the good stuff. I've simply learned not to buy any raw coin from him above a nominal amount.

When I have bought on eBay, I have always been very careful and though I have bought my share of problem coins, they have always been cheap. Offsetting that, I have bought many more quality coins aside from the two I mentioned that have been bargains. There are fewer of them now but still occasionally available.

The following coin was inserted into the 1885 Liberty Nickel slot of the old Whitman Coin Board that I inherited from my grandfather. Grandpa had a cruel sense of humor. :insane: God Love him! It has a bit of a weak strike and may have been cleaned a time or two. I purchased a graded coin to fill the slot!

85491.jpg.b874c457c087e6037d75e4357c13fe37.jpg

85493.jpg.f6e35b64a7c9bcbbeeaaac2699059b48.jpg

Here is the worst buy I ever made in an early U.S. coin. I knew that this 1796 half dime had issues, but I thought that it would grade because the services made allowances for early piece. NGC bodybagged it, and I dumped it at a $1,000 loss. ???

I'd be willing to bet that this piece is in a PCGS holder. I've seen far worse early half dimes in holders, and there was that 1796 half dollar in a PCGS Fine-15 holder that had obviously re-engraved stars. :o:frustrated:

1796HalfDimeV-1O.jpg1796HalfDimeV-1R.jpg

Here is the worst buy I ever made in an early U.S. coin. I knew that this 1796 half dime had issues, but I thought that it would grade because the services made allowances for early piece. NGC bodybagged it, and I dumped it at a $1,000 loss. ???

I'd be willing to bet that this piece is in a PCGS holder. I've seen far worse early half dimes in holders, and there was that 1796 half dollar in a PCGS Fine-15 holder that had obviously re-engraved stars. :o:frustrated:

1796HalfDimeV-1O.jpg1796HalfDimeV-1R.jpg

Why was it bagged?Cleaning?