• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Was Lincoln Photo Shopped in 1864 to Make Him Look Much Taller?

12 posts in this topic

With the coming of the 100th Anniversary of the Lincoln Cent, much emphasis has been put on the life of Abraham Lincoln. Recently a photograph has surfaced that questions the reported height of Mr. Lincoln. History puts Abe at staggering 6’ 4” when in reality he was actually only 5’ 2”.

MrLincolntall.jpg

A young Lincoln started to wear stove pipe hats in order to appear much taller than he actually was, an illusion that was going to be needed in order to lead this great country in it’s time of strife.

MrLincolnshort.jpg

Does anyone know what the two gentlemen in the picture are reaching for?

I've always thought the guys, especially the dude on the left, were reaching for their guns. I always thought it would be funny if this picture was of the three of them having a heated argument, and they were just about to have a duel.

I figured it out.

LincolnatAntitem.jpg

After the Battle of Antietam, Lincoln personally visited the battlefield and met with General McClellan. In this photograph, Lincoln is with Detective Pinkerton (left), and General McClernand (Right). The photograph was made on October 3, 1862.

Using Lincoln and the date you gave as a search, I came up with a link for a lot of interesting photos. I'm sure there are more.

http://www.civil-war.net/searchphotos.asp?searchphotos=Antietam,%20MD

All I know, if people stood around the President nowadays with their hands in their jackets they would be taken down!!

Another interesting link for you photography buffs, http://www.shorpy.com/ . Some really high quality photos in there. I've seen a lot of really nice Civil War and WWII photos in the archives there. Hope you enjoy.

A nice Lincoln photo here: http://www.shorpy.com/Abraham-Lincoln-1865?size=_original

men did not wear hats indoors...it was considered poor manners ( some of us still don't) now it seems that men wear them in restaurants, during the star-spangled banner at the ballgame, even saw someone wearing a ballcap during church.. (shrug)

I believe that there is evidence that Lincoln had Marfans Syndrome..many physicians have hypothesized, in a strangely ironic turn, that had he not been shot..he probably would have died in just a few short years anyhow..

I believe that there is evidence that Lincoln had Marfans Syndrome..many physicians have hypothesized, in a strangely ironic turn, that had he not been shot..he probably would have died in just a few short years anyhow..

I had heard this also. This is a tall persons affliction however......

Paul

In his youth Lincoln was a big, tall powerful man, especially for his time. It was said that he could hold an ax by the handle in each hand and stretch his arms out until they were parallel with the ground and hold that position for several minutes. He also was formidable foe in a wrestling match as a bully named Jack Armstrong found out during Lincoln’s days in New Salem. While Lincoln was in the Illinois State Legislature he was known as one of the “long six” – a group of representatives who often voted similarly on the issues, who were 6 feet tall or taller.

No looking at the record, there is no way that Lincoln’s height has been exaggerated. And I’d say that the second picture that started this thread has been photoshopped sometime well after the 1860s when it was taken.

It is common for portraits of the era to be extensively retouched to remove blemishes and wrinkles, or parts of backgrounds. Retouching was done with pencils, razors, chemicals, ink and anything else that would alter the image either on the negative or final print.

The second picture is really more like a cartoon when you look at it.

Lincoln's legs are impossibly short; his stovepipe hat has been lengthened to a clownish degree; and his coat looks like it’s four sizes too large. Perhaps this photo came from one of those southern histories of “The War of Northern Aggression.” ;)