• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I am super duper excited about this 1867 Hong Kong Tael

9 posts in this topic

Help!

I collect 20th century American coinage and I saw the coin shown below on ebay. I thought it might be silver and thought about buying it for bullion value. Then I started to look around... Somebody who has expertise in this area, can you tell me if I got taken for a beat up coin or if this is the real deal... I'm about to wet my pants. Can someone help me.

Brad

85018.jpg.144e7cb82bcac63f59e516da9eafd536.jpg

Look at the irregular rims, the uneven denticles, and the source of your coin. doh!

Now, consider that at a 1995 auction a choice brilliant proof of that design realized $80,500. hm

Finally, ask yourself whether you actually found an ebay seller of what Krause lists as a rare Shanghai Tael Series pattern, silver, 1 liang, KM#Pn2, under the China Foreign Enclaves heading. :frustrated:

I sincerely hope the lesson wasn't too expensive. (shrug)

I hate to say it, but that coin should have raised innumerable red flags. You appear to have gotten a counterfeit, and I hope the lesson was not expensive. I hope you have return priviliges.

Well, I figured as much... I bought it because it wasn't the one with rays which is the one that gets all the money. I do have a return option and I will weigh it when it arrives to see if it comes close. The rims bothered me, but like I said, I bought it for the bullion. I'll udate this post when I receive the coin. Thanks for the info.

I ought to keep it as a reminder that if something is too good to be true it probably is... but I won't