• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Numanistic Nubee Questions

7 posts in this topic

Recently I inherited a box of coins and I don't have a clue what I have, how to "grade" them. I don't even know the correct terminology to use in talking about coins. I need direction. I'm afraid to go to the local coin shop, thinking I'll be taken advantage of, but I'd like to know what I have. I believe some of the coins are uncirculated but don't know for sure. Is there a book like "coin collecting for dummies"? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

I would suggest getting a "Red Book" which is officially titled "A Guide Book of United States Coins" by RS Yeoman (they have the 2004 edition at Amazon for $11.14, but they can be found at most book stores). That will help with the basics of identifying what you have and in turn help you identify if the coins are worth grading (some coins my be worth little more in uncirculated grades than they are circulated). As for grading, there is a book called "Photograde" that can be very helpful, but I would also try browsing your local coin shop at unc vs. circulated coins to get a sense as to what they look like in person. I hope this helps!

MarkBP,

I think the best starting point would be for you to pick up a copy of "A guide Book Of United States Coins" (referred to as "The Red Book") at a local coin shop.

It will give you some general guidelines about values and grading and is quite comprehensive.

I'm also looking for guidance. While renovating a house I just bought, I found $100 worth of quarters hidden in the insulation of the attic. They were all Washington Head quarters with the exception of about a dozen Liberty's with weak dates, and one Canadian quarter from 1968 in uncirc. condition which leads me to believe that was around the date they were stashed and forgotten about. The latest quarters were from 65 and in the best condition. The earlir 30's,40's, and 50's were all circulated condition.

I broke out my coin collection from when I was a kid, and filled my Washington head book for an inventory count, and none appear to be a very rare mint.

What is my best outlet to sell these coins presently, where there aren't many coin dealers in my area. Also read an article in Jan.04 Coins saying Wash. heads are on the rise. Is it worth hanging on to them where I'd probably be looking at an average of $1 per coin now ( some probably worth more ).

Any thoughts out there???????????

Well, melt value on the silver quarters is now about $1.19 each, so a little higher than what you thought. For common date silver Washingtons, I doubt they will be worth much more than melt value in my lifetime anyway, but you never know. I would hold on to them if you think silver will rise, if not I would either sell them to a dealer (convenient given the weight/value problem, or try selling them on eBay as a lot and you might do a little better (just make sure you don't end up paying the shipping charge).