• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

U.S. mint difference

6 posts in this topic

There can be a difference for many coins based on where it was minted (and there were lots of branch mints) but for state quarters so many were minted that it's pretty much irrelevant. However, there may be some differences when it comes to the ultra high grade coins collected by modern enthusiasts. In the highest grades, there may be a difference due to the quality of coins produced at each mint for a particular year.

There can be huge differences in average, mean, and best quality for coins from the two mints. As a general rule the Denver coins are of far better average quality but the scarcity of the two are similar in high grades. In recent years this difference is somewhat less pronounced and Philly occasionally will actually be better than Denver. Most modern collectors are seeking coins in any nice attractive grade but usually the demand is great enough compared to supply to have much effect only on the highest grades. There are some exceptions where even choice coins have substantial premiums.

Quality will also vary greatly from year to year and denomination to denomination and will not always affect both mints the same way.

Thumper, there is also the point to be made that if you are looking for either mint mark, what part of the country you live in can make a difference, at least in finding them both in circulation and in good condition. Unless you buy from the mint or off of eBay, you may be hard pressed to find MS64 or higher in change.

As my job requires me to go thru 100s of dollars in quarters every day, I actively seek out and collect prime examples for my state quarters album. Here in Vegas, the Philly marks are far and few between and their condition shows the distance traveled to get here (nicks and hits). My book DOES have all from each mint to date, but the Phillys are noticably a grade or two lower then the Denvers.

But when I find them like this, I jump on 'em! Fingerprints and all!

363240-stq.jpg

I have bought mint sets of both from eBay, but turned around and sold them as IMO they weren't in any better condition then what I was finding in change! Not as much fun either!