• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MS70 and copper

20 posts in this topic

I have read that copper coins treated with MS 70 can turn a shade of blue.

I have seen many proof copper coins that have a blue tone, is this natural ?

Any information or links would be appreciated.

I have seen many proof copper coins that have a blue tone, this is natural .

Your second statement/sentence (the "natural" part) is incorrect in many instances. ;)

Your second statement/sentence (the "natural" part) is incorrect in many instances. ;)

I should have posted that I was told it was natual :grin:

From what I understand for a proof copper coin a blue tone can happen natually.

You may find all the answers you want right here .

Incorrect. It can turn them many shades of blue. It can also turn them many shades of pink or not turn them any color at all.

I have seen many proof copper coins that have a blue tone, this is natural.

You have? Well, someone wins the lottery, so I guess this is possible.

You may find all the answers you want right here .

Thanks James that was the link I was looking for .

Incorrect. It can turn them many shades of blue. It can also turn them many shades of pink or not turn them any color at all.

How was my question incorrect ?? If it can turn a coin many shades of blue then it can also turn a coin a shade of blue. My question asked about MS70 turning a coin blue , I did not ask about other colors . As Spock would say your comment is illogical .

Here is the coin in question .

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4125.m73&item=230367616061&viewitem=&salenotsupported

Someone on another message board asked about this coin. I told them I though it was possible that the purple blue color might have been the result of MS70 .

I have seen many slabbed proof Indians with blue , purple , colors etc .

Not to say that a TPG will not slab an AT coin – they do , however from what I have seen multiple colors appear more often on Proof Indian head cents .

Personally, I do not mind the iridescent purple color on that coin, whether it is natural or not.

I thought it was an attractive coin . Common date maybe worth $ 60 .

Here is the coin in question .

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4125.m73&item=230367616061&viewitem=&salenotsupported

Someone on another message board asked about this coin. I told them I though it was possible that the purple blue color might have been the result of MS70 .

I have seen many slabbed proof Indians with blue , purple , colors etc .

Not to say that a TPG will not slab an AT coin – they do , however from what I have seen multiple colors appear more often on Proof Indian head cents .

The linked coin looks unnatural to me, though my guess is that it's not due to the application of MS70. Greg, can probably give you a good idea on that.

Coins that I have seen treated with MS70 have a more uniform blue/purple look to them. On another note, I've never seen MS70 turn a penny pink. And on my last note, I have seen Jewel Luster or EZ Est (not to be confused with the beloved EZ_E!!), I've seen that turn copper different shades of pink and what I would call peach.

How do I know, personal experience.

Personally, I do not mind the iridescent purple color on that coin, whether it is natural or not.

The reason I tend to like the coin in question is that the iridescence is beaming from the fields, not off the devices. If someone smeared MS-70 on the coin, it's unlikely they could manage to treat only the recessed areas without treading on the devices. Of course, I could be wrong since I've certainly never tried to painstakingly apply/create color on a coin in this manner. But $60 seems fair to me.

The reason I tend to like the coin in question is that the iridescence is beaming from the fields, not off the devices. If someone smeared MS-70 on the coin, it's unlikely they could manage to treat only the recessed areas without treading on the devices. Of course, I could be wrong since I've certainly never tried to painstakingly apply/create color on a coin in this manner. But $60 seems fair to me.

James, I don't think it works that way. I have been told that the resulting color is at least partly dependent upon the various degrees of mellowing/color present on different portions of the surfaces. For example, I believe that BN and RB areas are far more likely to turn blue than RD is.

The linked coin looks unnatural to me, though my guess is that it's not due to the application of MS70. Greg, can probably give you a good idea on that.

The coin does look very unnatural. My guess is that if MS70 was used, it was an aggressive use which hurt the surfaces. Might be a combination of MS70 after another type of cleaning.

James, I don't think it works that way. I have been told that the resulting color is at least partly dependent upon the various degrees of mellowing/color present on different portions of the surfaces. For example, I believe that BN and RB areas are far more likely to turn blue than RD is.

Just from the small sampling in the experiment James did (and linked), this seems to be confirmed.

That 1894 cent from the Ebay auction does not appear to have Mint State sharpness and the color in feathers behind the Indian head appears very unnatural to me. There is wear on the diamonds and on the hair running down below the diamond ribbon. That flatness is wear, not from a weak strike.