• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ugliest 09SVDB EVER!!!

10 posts in this topic

Metal detector find from 1996 - house had burned down in the '70s.

I had to put water on the back so maybe the VDB would be visible. Has to be lit just right to see it but I THINK it's there.

Shame - what to do with this coin - worth what, 5c maybe to someone needs a hole filled?

Grade A(-4) for awful!

dorkdog

vdbfront.jpg

vdb1.jpg

vdb2.jpg

I was thinking about that - it's certainly a conversation piece - I mean, look at the wheat ears! This was not an AG coin when this all started - in Lincoln's bust, in hand there is considerable detail present. There may be a VF - XF coin under all that junk and corrosion.

I'm not a set keeper by any means; I'll probably end up giving it to some 10-year-old kid trying to fill a book. Like I was once.

LJ

I was thinking about that - it's certainly a conversation piece - I mean, look at the wheat ears! This was not an AG coin when this all started - in Lincoln's bust, in hand there is considerable detail present. There may be a VF - XF coin under all that junk and corrosion.

I'm not a set keeper by any means; I'll probably end up giving it to some 10-year-old kid trying to fill a book. Like I was once.

LJ

Man I wish I was 10 again! lol Just to have one of those no matter what shape it's in would be awesome.

Even in G-4, Numismedia lists the 09S-VDB at $730. I would definitely say it is very well worth it to send that to NCS - have them remove what crud they can, stabilize the surfaces, and encapsulate it with a details grade (in the new NGC holders!) You never know, the details grade they give it might surprise you, as it appears to have VF-ish details under the severe environmental damage.

If you do send it to NCS please let us know how it turns out. I would love to see what they can do in extreme cases.

And this is extreme with a capital E...

Insane! It looks like a picture of the surface of the moon!

I know others would pay more, but I would give at most $100 if someone brought that to me at a show. And you're right, I don't recall ever seeing an uglier S-VDB!

Environmentally damaged obviously. NCS might be able to get it to a FR-02. Still a $300+ coin, as a filler, and it is a SVDB and I'm 100% certain of that.