• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Check out the Legend FUN Market Report

18 posts in this topic

Legend Market Report

My comments:

Ordinarily, I think sellers tend to hype their product -- even if it's just a little bit. When I read this this morning, I felt that it was a different sort of message than I'd been reading from the likes of Contursi, Feigenbaum and even Sperber herself. There wasn't the typical Crazy Eddie Everything Must Sell message that I'd become accustomed to hearing.

IMO, folks typically prefer a controlled market. A chaotically booming market is not good. Just look at the recent dotcom fiasco! In this message from Sperber, I envisioned a nicely paced escalator ride -- going up!

EVP

That was a good report. My only complaint, and please no one take offense, is that Legend really needs an editor. I am not sure if there was just a rush, but the numerous misspellings and grammatical errors really diminish the credibility of the article. I had come to expect more from these folks! confused.gif

Legend has an editor, but only for their mass email newsletters. That same editor also does most the bulk of the eBay listings. But, there currently is no editorial service for the other stuff, including the market reports and the regular lot listings.

Just think of it as a service with a personality! wink.gif

EVP

Yeah, I did enjoy the raw information, especially the positive mention of better date Saints! I guess it's just hard for me not to notice the typos, after all you know the first word in analyst is anal. boo.gif

EVP,

If I may offer my 2 cents.... I have to be honest that the article really does not impress me and it's not just because of the Legend name. I have read quite a few articles about the show and how the market is going and it all seems so redundant.

Dealers lined up, spend 2 million dollars, so and so coin went for so much, collectors and dealers couldn't buy enough coins. It's kind of predictable when nothing is said on the message board except for "hey, you got to check out this show report" with a link to the site.

Don't get me wrong, I love hearing about the shows but the articles I like the most are the ones that are more personable. "Little Devil" goes to the show, meets up with "Greg", "Russ", "Lucy" and "Charlie Brown", they have lunch together, show off each others finds, talk about some of the great coins they have seen, about their purchases. How about a little something in the article from Legend Steve or Legend George's vantage point? What did they do? How about a different report/vantage point on the message boards than what is on the site?

Not to mention posting the link to the article by someone who works for Legend can be percieved as an advertisment in itself. How about just having something in the sig that says "for the latest show report, go to..."

I hope I haven't offended anyone, I'd just like to see more personality and less business mumbo jumbo.

Dave

Dave,

No offense taken, and thanks to you (and Jeff) for at least talking about the intended subject of this thread.

I agree that the thread itself is no great shakes. It truly started off as little more than a simple link to what Sperber wrote. In my defense, I was trying to get people to comment on what she wrote as opposed to anything I have to say about what she wrote.

As for what she wrote, yeah, perhaps it was no great shakes either. Certainly it isn't as personable as the show reports from many board members. But, do you really expect Legend to write in the same style and perspective as many of the collector-oriented show reports? (I hope not, 'cuz Legend is a "dealer"-ship as opposed to a "collector"-ship.) And, don't forget that Sperber is not a personable person!

Back to what she wrote... I actually liked it. I tried to explain why I liked it. That is why started my thread. Objectively, folks should recognize that I do not do this sort of thing often. As such, I think it would be jumping the gun for folks to conclude that the real intent of this thread is as advertisement.

Since you like "personable", here's a bit for you:

I sat behind the table most of the time. Some board members came up to say "Hi!" to me since they knew I was table-bound. Android, Greg, Cammie, Keets, MDWoods and others brightened my day with their sincere greeting. Android also went with me for a smoke, and I tortured Greg over dinner Fri eve.

Friday afternoon everyone around me made fun of me because I paid too much attention to a hottie potential customer. And, a major dealer got (teasingly) upset with me over a professional issue because that issue luckily went my way instead of his.

And, all throughout the show, I saw a sh*tload of gorgeous coins about which I can't comment. (Sorry, but it'll be unprofessional for me to comment on those coins.)

EVP

EVP,

As I said before, I liked the report (outside the typos), and in particular, I enjoyed hearing what wasn't hot, as that may be an area to look into. I have never been enamoured with classic commems, but if they are truly undervalued they might be worth a look. I also enjoyed the comments on gradeflation, which I think are helpful in evaluating the tone of the overall market. As for the "organized insanity" being different than 1980, well, I can only hope there are more differences than that! I would hope that perhaps this would be a somewhat more sustainable market, so maybe a better comparison might be with the market of 1977??? As for being self serving, it could come off that way, though the fact that I looked for some better date Saints in Legend's inventory and found none somewhat defeats the marketing purpose.

As for your personal report, who cares? 893whatthe.gif893blahblah.gif27_laughing.gif So you had dinner with some people, who hasn't? I want coin stories! This is the Coin Forum, not the happy lunch and dinner forum. Yeah, I know, unprofessional. When exactly did you make the transition to being professional? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I didn't have much time last night but I wanted to add that I did like the fact that she pointed out an area of the market (commems) that she thought were cheap in high grades. Although I don't collect commems, it's nice to see someone pointing out an area which might be a good choice in collecting/investing.

..and your right, on the website you guys have to be professional. On the other hand, on the message boards you/Legend can always give us your first person accounts of the show.

...and when is there going to be a show closer to NY/MJ?

-Dave

Careful, Jeff. I'll be in Portland and may end up writing that I broke bread with you! As for better-date Saints, we have one in inventory. Not in the same class as a 27D or 33, but a better-date nevertheless.

We can talk about the classical commems offline as I have some non-public comments about them.

EVP

On the other hand, on the message boards you/Legend can always give us your first person accounts of the show.

I suffer from coin overkill. Contrary to Sperber, I want to have a life outside of coins. The last thing I wanted to do was to rehash my days at the show. This show in particular, 'cuz I was confronted with numerous personal issues that I have to address before I can even properly greet my dogs!

frown.gif

EVP

PS We're still in the process of clearing our FUN activity, like listing and imaging and all that other operational stuff...

EVP: You had a "hottie potential customer"?

Now that's something (someone) I've never seen at a coin show! I guess I'll have to make sure I go to FUN next year!

By the way, the next shows in NY are the NY International (Jan 16-18) and the WESPNEX show in White Plains (Jan 23-25)