• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Four new commemoratives for the set.

14 posts in this topic

I purchased the first three from member 'Seanq' across the street, and the last one on ebay (I'm up to one whole feedback now ;) ). I think they make nice additions to my set, which is now more than a third complete. :)

1921%20Missouri%2050c%20Obv.jpg
From Classic Commemoratives
1921%20Missouri%2050c%20Rev.jpg

1926%20Sesquicentennial%2050c%20Obv.jpg
1926%20Sesquicentennial%2050c%20Rev.jpg

1936%20Long%20Island%2050c%20Obv.jpg
1936%20Long%20Island%2050c%20Rev.jpg

1952%20GWC%2050c%20Obv.jpg
1952%20GWC%2050c%20Rev.jpg

The Missouri is very cool. (thumbs u

I think so too. :grin: I think that the other three are fairly standard as far as circ commemoratives go, but the MO really stands out.

Zach, the MO is a winner! I've only seen one other example that can rival it and I didn't bid on it because of a courtesy to a fellow collector who ended up not bidding on it because of health issues and he never told me so I missed the perfect circulated MO commem that went cheap. Too bad, so sad. :(

The Sesqui is nice and original but nothing spectacular. Nicer ones come around occasionally but they're not as easy to find as one may think.

Something is off on the Long Island. May just be the pic but they are scarce but common enough to do better.

The W-C is original enough and common in circulated grades but there's something in their alloy that doesn't let them get too crusty. Tough to find a really crusty one but they exist.

So, I would love the MO in my collection but pass on the rest, in my most humble collecting opionion.

Hey Vic,

I agree with you on the sesqui. These are very common in circulated grades, but for some reason, maybe it's the low relief, don't get a nice circulated cameo appearance.

I like the LI a good deal. For my set I feel that fifty crusty circulated cameos might get a bit dull, so when I notice that one commemorative seems to have a unique trait, such as the golden toning on this LI, the underlying pastel toning on my Maine, or the deep yet colorful toning on my Oregon, I try to pick up an example for my set (I passed on the sickly green-slimed Lexingtons ;) ). This way my set is matching, yet diverse and a good representation of the commemorative series.

And as for the GWC... (shrug) . It was cheap, and I thought it was a good coin and decent example. I can always sell it if I find a better one.

From my experience, the easiest classic commems to find in superb circulated condition (original and crusty) is the Columbian, Pan-Pac, Isabella, Illinois, Maine, Lafayett, Alabama, Huguenot, Stone Mountain, Oregon, Vermont, Cleveland, Long Island, BTW and Bay Bridge. The next easiest group is the Pilgrim, Missouri, Grant, Monroe, Lexington, California, Sesqui, Texas, Connecticut, Carver-Washinton. The tougher ones is the Vancouver, Hawaii, Maryland, Boon, Arkansas, San Diego, Bridgeport, Elgin, Norfolk, New Rochelle and Iowa. I haven't found any of the rest.

My Elgin, Bridgeport, San Diego and Arkansas are all high AU: golden and original.

The look of the W-C doesn't really do it for me (I've never been a fan of the design), but I definitely like how the other 3 look. Congratulations on some nice pickups! (thumbs u