• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1878-CC Morgan

10 posts in this topic

If it isn't body-bagged, then MS-62 is the highest I would go on it. The grease stain isn't necessarily the biggest culprit, it's that residue which is bothersome.

Edited to add: not "body-bagged", but "details-only" graded.

First impression is MS-65, but now that I read the other posts with the two stains, I don't know how to discount for those. Details are very nice.

Yes, I agree it looks a little "washed", with this coin it really would depend on which company slabbed it. Anyways, as stated it has very nice details, is a CC, and I'm sure many people would have no problem having it in their collection!

Interest in this thread seems to have died down, so I'll reveal the slab now.

I'm sure that PCGS did net grade this coin. While the flaws are easy to notice, the strike is among the best I have ever seen. And there is an almost total absence of contact marks on the coin. I've seen MS67s that aren't as clean as this one.

3796647830_e15445fb2d.jpg

3796647834_4cd8a02736.jpg

1878-CC is one of the coins in the series that frequently comes fully struck. I think what happened is the coin was blast white when certified MS-65, then "turned" in the holder. If I owned it, conservation would be in order, and I wouldn't care about the rattler holder. Over the long run, that residue may permanently damage the coin.