• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1803 Bust Half: Opinions?

11 posts in this topic

What do yous guys think of dis one? Looking for some grade opinions as well, and feel free to guess the Overton (there are only 4). No cheating now!

100_2002.jpg

100_2003.jpg

For me, it is VF-25, and I love the supremely original look. Many collectors would complain about the splotchy tone and mottled spots, but they absolutely do not bother me at all.

I like this coin tremendously, and it's a tough date that is always overshadowed by the two preceding years.

The technical grade is VF-25, but I'd pass because of the toning and the marks. I just don't find this piece to be that attractive.

the splotches are not toning, but dirt, and you could probably soak it in oil and remove it if you wanted to...

Looks like a large 3 O.102 in VF30 or so. The eye appeal might be quite nice, though it appears underlit. The 1803 is a far better date than the truly generic 1806 and 1807 DBHs, but it does not get credit for this fact.

What do yous guys think of dis one? Looking for some grade opinions as well, and feel free to guess the Overton (there are only 4). No cheating now!

100_2002.jpg

100_2003.jpg

I was thinking about buying this one myself. Since I know the answer, I wont comment on it other than it was clearly undergraded by NGC, and the correct grade is VF30 or 35.

I will need to play with the lighting on this, but I fear the white background of the slab throws the camera off a little on the color no matter what I would do.

This one is in fact an O-102A with the reverse die cracks and heavy clashing below the shield. The BNC has given this an R3+ rating, making it the scarcest of the 4 pairings for the year, all of which are R3's. Approximately 75% of the survivors of this date are these "Large 3" varieties (O-101,102, and 103). The O-104 is a "Small 3" variety. It is believed that there are less than 2000 survivors of this date today, and possibly as few as 1400.

NGC has given the grade of VF 25 to this coin. There is dirt all over this one, so I suspect it has never been cleaned, but could actually use a cleaning. The dirt covers some of the details on the reverse, although it is kinda cool that way. There is some luster still present in protected areas.

I was especially curious to see what others thought of this one for a grade. From what you guys have said, I would say that this one is conservatively graded. I do not see any rim bumps or major scratches/marks to warrant any downgrades either.

Thanks for looking!