• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Behold the 'Plenty'

8 posts in this topic

[font:Comic Sans MS]"Behold the 'Plenty' - an alternative currency printed and exchanged exclusively in Pittsboro, NC, population 2,500. A couple dozen Pittsboro stores accept it as a dollar alternative, like the local feed store and a produce co-op.

"The idea is nothing new... scrips like the Ithaca HOUR and Western Massachusetts' BerkShare have been chronicled for some time. Both have millions worth in circulation.

"But according to The LA Times, scrips haven't been this popular since the Great Depression. They've gained significant traction in New York, North Carolina, Michigan, Colorado, Arizona and Massachusetts, with many more communities beginning to experiment.

"And we're noticing a decidedly less hippie, more snarky feel: 'The Plenty is not going to get siphoned off to Wall Street,' says B.J. Lawson, president of The Plenty co-op board, 'or Washington, or make a stop in Bentonville on its way to China.' In Mesa, Arizona, locals are using Mesa Bucks to essentially stick it to the man... Bring a sales receipt from inside city limits to the local arts center and they'll give you a percentage of your sales tax back in Mesa Bucks. [/font]

83935.jpg.7b75694867b33ac5a0f29d0a256588d7.jpg

I did see the segment on the national news about three weeks ago. You go to a local bank with your pay check, cash and in turn, your $100 paycheck is worth $110 in Plenty buxs. Then all you do is go to retailers/resturants who accept this currency. It’s a win/win situation for both buyer and seller, an automatic 10% discount on everything you buy.

Works for me!

Reminds me of the Disney Dollars that I purchased when I went to Disney a couple years ago. I think I had more fun than my two sons!!

These aren't mine, but they are quite like it!

2009%20$1%20Disney%20Dollar.jpg

2009%20$5%20Disney%20Dollars.jpg

2009%20$10%20Disney%20Dollars.jpg

I would think that tax is just added and they make change, these would be just like paper fed notes, but only accepted in town. They still charge you sales tax when you pay with fed paper don't they?

For now, only the paper currency is supplied, change less than 1 Plenty bux is given in US denomination coins.

Of course tax is applicable...there was fore thought about this before implemented, there had to be enough venues where the Plenty bux are accepted to get a foot hold, but I bet as we speak, other businesses in the area are jumping on board.