• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Proof Coin question

8 posts in this topic

I've always wondered where single (graded) proof coins come from? I grew up thinking proofs always came in sets. I just started collecting graded coins about a year ago and realized you didn't have to buy a proof "set."

So do dealers break the sets and have the individual coins graded?

I have noticed that Pf 70 UC coins command a significant premium over the Pf 69s, so I'm guessing the percentage of Pf 70s is quite low out of the entire proof population of a particular coin. I'm referring to proofs made within the last few decades.

So do dealers break the sets and have the individual coins graded?
Yes, as do collectors.

I have noticed that Pf 70 UC coins command a significant premium over the Pf 69s, so I'm guessing the percentage of Pf 70s is quite low out of the entire proof population of a particular coin
You guess correctly, though the distributions of coins graded 70 can vary considerably for different years and types.