• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Roosevelt FT vs. FB

12 posts in this topic

Is there a difference in definition of NGC's FT designation and PCGS's FB designation for Roosevelts?

I didn't really know if the definitions were proprietary or not. It just seems to me that there are more FB Roosevelts on eBay than there are FT dimes. Maybe it's just a statistical insignificance.

I believe NGC and PCGS for the most part have similar requirements for FT and FB. For certain strike designations, NGC is clearly superior and will garner a premium over PCGS (such as FBL), but I don't know if that's the case or not for dimes.

And welcome to the boards! Tell us a little about yourself. :hi:

Thank you for the welcome. I actually prefer NGC Roosevelts over PCGS. I was just curious.

I'm a dime collector. I just started collected slabbed coins about a year ago. Mercs and Roosies are my thing for now, although I'm building a PF 70 UC 2009 set, which hopefully I can complete by the end of the year. I'll get my MBA this Decemeber, so the proof set was a gift to myself.

To my knowledge, the designations are the same. Congratulations on building your Roosevelt dime set! I sold my set of business strikes, all toned and in NGC MS-66, about five years ago.

There is actually a significant difference in the NGC FT designation versus the PCGS FB designation. NGC requires the dime to have a full torch which includes the vertical lines on the fasces as well as the bands being full and split as well. PCGS designates the dime as FB when only the bands are split. I have seen many dimes that NGC would not cross to FT from PCGS as they indicated the coin not to be FT.

If collecting Roosevelt dimes in FT or FB, I would recommend the NGC as they are much more stringent on the entire torch.

There is actually a significant difference in the NGC FT designation versus the PCGS FB designation. NGC requires the dime to have a full torch which includes the vertical lines on the fasces as well as the bands being full and split as well. PCGS designates the dime as FB when only the bands are split. I have seen many dimes that NGC would not cross to FT from PCGS as they indicated the coin not to be FT.

If collecting Roosevelt dimes in FT or FB, I would recommend the NGC as they are much more stringent on the entire torch.

Yes, there is a significant difference, just as you have layed out.

Thank you for the welcome. I actually prefer NGC Roosevelts over PCGS. I was just curious.

I'm a dime collector. I just started collected slabbed coins about a year ago. Mercs and Roosies are my thing for now, although I'm building a PF 70 UC 2009 set, which hopefully I can complete by the end of the year. I'll get my MBA this Decemeber, so the proof set was a gift to myself.

Congrats on the MBA.

Great gift idea too. :idea: I'll try it out on the boss.