• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

slab holograms

11 posts in this topic

......aren't the holograms for NGC and PCGS on the outside of the slabs? if so, why not put them IN the slabs? wouldn't this solve the problem of peeling or scratched hologram complaints? just curious. hm

They look to be on the outside, but they are on the inside of the plastic. The old NGC fattie holders that had the hologram on the outside was probably the only one. That's why with most of these slabs the hologram rubbed off.

Inside/outside varies depending on the company and the generation of the holder. I haven't made up a list of which ones are inside and which are outside.

Holograms of NGC slabs are on the outside. I know this, b/c I bought one from Heritage that was ok in the pic but when I received it, the hologram was mostly torn off. Customer support people at HA were clueless. When I finally talked to someone with any type of authority, they (Heritage) would not help me or offer ANY type of satisfaction, even though I paid a HUGE premium. They just care about the almighty buck. I don't care what anyone says; I believe having a torn hologram on a slab will definitely hurt the resale value, especially on less expensive coins. NGC said that they would put it in a new holder, w/new hologram, for $5 plus shipping, which, I think, is a good service that they offer, since Holograms do peel off.

I've pulled dealer stickers off the backs some of the older NGC slabs and the holograms came off with the stickers. Now when there is a sticker on the back of a NGC slab, I soak the sticker for a while with a few drops of Googone and the sticker come off without taking the hologram with it.

For the longest time I did think they were on the inside because just by feeling them you can't really tell.

But yes I have seen holograms ripped before. What I hate is when dealers put stickers directly on top of the holograms. Makes removing them without damaging the hologram much more difficult.

So I do stand corrected