• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does anyone speak German?

12 posts in this topic

Hi, guys. I think I may have found a long sought after coin from Tonga, the 1 pa'anga of 1993 pictures at the site below. The only problem is that the page is in German (haven't spoken it since college graduation and don't remember squat) and I am trying to figure out how to order the coin. Can anyone help? I've been after this piece for years! Sure would appreciate help if anyone can figure out how to order (if it is even a sale list).

Thanks!!!!!!! RI AL

http://tonga-coin-catalog.com/FINANZAMT___BANKEN___ZAHLUNGSM/FINANZAMT___BANKEN___ZAHLUNGSM/finanzamt___banken___zahlungsm5.html

Try this link from that website for a list of coins the owner has for sale.

Scroll down to Tonga and if the one you want isn't listed, contact the site owner and see if he/she can get it for you. (I've had a great deal of success using Babel Fish to translate emails to foreign sellers - just include in your text that you are using mechanical translation, to explain your possible odd grammar or word choice.)

Good luck!

BTW the answer to your title question is: Yes, more than 91-million people. ;)

Thank you very much, Bsshog. I know that translation took some doing so I really appreciate your time and effort very much. I did find an e-mail address on the site so I zapped off a note. We'll see if I get anywhere. I'm going to find this darned coin if I have to go to Tonga myself!!! (Well...not really...but I sure would like to!)

Again, thanks!!! Alan RI AL

Satootoko.

Thanks very much for the information. I have an e-mail going out to the site's "owner" in the hopes he can help me out with the coin. The Wagner coin IS listed as available so hopefully he will write me back and we can accomplish this. Again, thanks.

Regarding "speaking German", back in the 1970's, I was approaching fluency in the language (loved it from my 3 intense years of college courses). I used it while we were living in Yugoslavia because more people spoke German than English. (Serbian was really hard for me to learn!) The only place I got into trouble with my German was in Klagenfurt, Austria. Try as I might...I couldn't make my self understood. I think it was a dialect thing. Good thing the tourist behind me spoke English :makepoint: and the dialect or we might still be there...since 1981!!!. doh!

Thanks again. I will post if I make any progress, but the yell of "accomplishment" I will render will probably be heard over most of the western hemisphere if I finally get my hands on that darned Tonga coin.

RI AL

Thank you very much, Bsshog. I know that translation took some doing so I really appreciate your time and effort very much. I did find an e-mail address on the site so I zapped off a note. We'll see if I get anywhere. I'm going to find this darned coin if I have to go to Tonga myself!!! (Well...not really...but I sure would like to!)

Again, thanks!!! Alan RI AL

Actually RI AL, I typed the name of the site in Yahoo search. It came up with the website and next to it in grayed letters, was translate. I clicked that and yahoo automatically translated the website. was no trouble at all.

Thanks just the same, bsshog. Anyway, I zipped off an e-mail to the site's owner and got a very nice note back saying that he didn't sell coins but that the pictures were his collection. If I don't find this darned Wagner coin, I may have to go find the guy's house... :pullhair:

Ri AL

Good morning, Bobby. Thanks again for leading me to the Black Mountain Coin site. They had several Tonga 1 pa'anga coins but not the Wagner piece. I am going to contact him today and put it on a want list. Who know...I might get lucky. Guess I'll figure out how to subscribe to the Numismaster site too and see if they can help me locate a few elusive pieces, including the Austria Granzing district "coins".

If anyone is interested...I am hot on the trail of the 1995 Robert Marley $100 gold coin from Jamaica. (A few months back, someone posted a gorgeous Proof 70 example of the coin that I would have killed for....I didn't know the coin existed until then.) Not a done deal yet and mine won't be certified, but I'll post a picture if it works out and details of how the deal...hopefully...takes place. Now as I am classical pianist/composer, Marley wasn't exactly my cup of tea, but he was a very good musician and well worthy of inclusion into my music coin collection. It's when the Michael Jackson coins start appearing on the scene that I may have to reconsider my 100% inclusion policy. VERY talented, yes, but I just am having a hard time overcoming the life style. Oh well...maybe it's just me and I should let his talent stand without the mess of his personal life eliminating him from my collection. I have 5 Elvis coins from the Marshal Islands and Staint Thomas and Prince Islands so I guess Jackson can fit in too.

Finally...gee...I'm rambling today...guess I am just real enthusiastic about the revival of the music set. Anyway, 3 attempts at contacting the Turkish mint have all failed. E-mails are returned as no such address. Is there a NEW e-mail address for the mint? There is a new Chopin coin I'm hunting for...and I already gave 3 offers on e-Bay for it and I can't do more (E-Bay doesn't permit more than 3 offers though I was pretty close to his full "buy it now price) so I thought I would try the direct route to the mint.

Finally... :blahblah: :blahblah: I sent a note to e-Bay yesterday with 2 suggestions. 1, that coins and paper money be listed as separate categories, 2, that the term "coin" in a description had to really mean "coin", not medal, token or other item. I got a very nice e-mail this morning from E-Bay thanking me for the excellent suggestions but, apparently, E-Bay policy says that they can not take or implement suggestions from their users unless they are solicited. E-Bay staff has to come up with the improvements on their own. Well, I was a bit bummed about that but oh well...doesn't make much sense but then...what do I know...I'm only a 10 year+ E-Bay user and 50 year coin collector.

Have a great day, guys, and thanks for listening to me ramble and for the help!

RI AL

For the Turkish Mint I found their website and the list of the coins they have for sale with prices and a contact email address at the bottom of the page. I don't know if it is the same email you have been trying but here is the website.

http://www.darphane.gov.tr/english/esatisl.htm

Hello, Conder101, and everyone.

Conder, thank you for the Turkish mint information. They don't have the 2009 Chopin coin listed yet, but I'll keep checking.

Well, my son got married (age 30) on Saturday and we are FINALLY getting back to normal here. He and his lovely wife are 2 1/2 hours away in NH, but we will get to see them from time to time.

In the interim between my last post, a bunch of new music coins have arrived. It is to the point now where I am reorganizing the whole collection, now easily over 200 pieces not including sets, into categories; composers, performers, opera, music buildings (theaters, opera houses,,,) and world musical instruments, with the emphasis on composers and performers. I have a list of about 60 coins I don't have...and seems to be growing daily. E-Bay is a goldmine of new discoveries and it seems that many coins are coming on the market at very reasonable prices, and "best offer" has worked out well. I did just today finally get the 1995 Bob Marley $100 gold coin from Jamaica. In the reorganization process, I am researching each coin and writing a brief paragraph about the topic of each, as well as inventorying by KM number, country, mintage and so on. It 's a big task, I am half way through the musical instruments" section (the first part of my long project) and having a heck of a time identifying some of the African drums, Indian stringed instruments and the like. Great fun. I wonder if there is a computer program for this inventory process.

I hope everyone is well and having great success in their collecting.

RI AL