• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess the grade 1896 Proof Morgan

25 posts in this topic

It's a pretty lousy picture, but I assure you it was not lower than PCGS PF-60 when purchased.

I cracked it out, dipped it, and it looks a lot better and is in a new PCGS holder with a DCAM designation. Sometimes gambles work out, sometimes they don't. This one did.

I will reveal the before and after grades later.

The scans are what Heritage posted when I bought this....I got it cheap, probably because of the photos. Thanks to a very light dip it is now in a PCGS PF-65 DCAM holder. The next time I visit my safe deposit box, I will take a photo of it.

83696.jpg.a5078d049ea14e4422c5846b8edc0cc8.jpg

So I'm guessing you bought a $5000 coin, cracked it, and then dipped it? Wow, you got guts! Wouldn't the dipping ruin any cameo if it existed? How could you bid on a coin of that value with those images?

Jim, this is one of the more interesting threads in awhile! I seriously thought PR-8 when I saw the images. Your thread illustrates the power of decent images when selling a coin, while at the same time showing how poor even a top-notch firm's pictures can be.

Neat results, and I believe congratulations are in order!

:golfclap:

I assumed it was a high end proof with terrible images, but if the color was a deep navy and purple mix then the coin might have had significant eye appeal in-hand prior to the dip.

Gamble is not a big enough word!!! That took some serious cojones to crack it out & dip it. I've bid on some coins from Heritage & have gotten great deals due to some of their poor photos.

But back to that Morgan & I'm sure I'm not alone on this one , but it doesn't even look like the same coin. Did you take any in hand photos before cracking it out & dipping it? If so, I'd love to see them.

Nice job by the way!!! :applause:^^

I'll tell ya what Jim, the new pic doesn't even come close to the original post pic.Just goes to show that pics are not always good representation of the coin. Good gamble. One I would've never taken.

"I cracked it out, dipped it, and it looks a lot better and is in a new PCGS holder with a DCAM designation. Sometimes gambles work out, sometimes they don't."

BIG BAWLS - Dipped in What dip???

I took a gamble.

This is a pic of the raw coin after I dipped it and before I sent to PCGS.

What exactly did you use?And,what do you think it's value is now? Wish I had enough dough to take risks like that. Congrats on a beautiful Morgan!!

I will make it a point to visit my safe deposit box and take a photo of it by the end of this week

Here is how I cracked and dipped it.

Crack out...a hammer on the edge on top of the corner of the slab and on top of a blanket. A single hit, hard and right on the corner. The coin will fall out of the holder.

The crack out holder is somewhere to be found, when I find it, I will photo it and post it.

Dip....the good 'ol jewel luster. I dipped it for an instant...and immediately rinsed it in distilled water. As fast as I could do it.

Well done.. with it being so toned, it was the only option. Even those second lot of pics from 2000 are bad for when trying to sell it some day

SO it got DEEP CAMEO.. because you didn't over dip. Great job congrats :)

"I cracked it out, dipped it, and it looks a lot better and is in a new PCGS holder with a DCAM designation. Sometimes gambles work out, sometimes they don't."

BIG BAWLS - Dipped in What dip???

Huge :o

Just after I got out of High School, just before I joined the Navy, I went to work for a company named Columbia 300. Yes, I actually participated in the making of the like below:

88782367.jpg