• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Some purchases from FUN show today

9 posts in this topic

I had a great time and really enjoyed meeting Android(Andy), Cameron, and Greg Margulies, who is a great guy 893whatthe.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif .....................seriously.

As far as the show, I was really not overly impressed and expecting a larger crowd for a Saturday. I didn't have anything dead set that I was looking to purchase, but a few nice color Washington quarters would have been nice to come across. I really just buy anything that screams out at me with nice eye appeal and have become attracted lately to original Seated and Barber coinage that can be picked raw.

Well, besides a little disappointment in not seeing too many things that I could (a) afford and (b) jumped out at me, Greg mentioned from talking to many dealers that there seemed to be a fairly low supply of material, which was readily apparent. Greg Bingham's commems at Whitlow's table and the proof gold type set on display(I love those matte $10 Indians and $20 Saints) I really wasn't too wow'ed at many things there, but did walk away with a few additions.

WARNING: Some of the below coins linked are actually Foreign. tonofbricks.gif

1947 Swiss One Franc Obv.

1947 Swiss One Franc Rev. I love the luster on these coins, and the design is beautiful also

1920 Swiss One Franc Obv #1

1920 Swiss One Franc Obv #2

1920 Swiss One Franc Rev #1

1920 Swiss One Franc Rev #2

1944-S Phillipines One Centavo Obv #1 Not bad for $2

1944-S Phillipines One Centavo Obv #2

1944-S Phillipines One Centavo Rev

1877-S Seated Dime Obv Totally Original Piece here

1877-S Seated Dime Rev

WARNING: Some of the below coins linked are actually Foreign. tonofbricks.gif

You'll get no complaints from me about those foreign coins!

Really nice looking francs glad you enjoyed yourself.

-JamminJ

Your Swiss francs compelled me to dig through my foreign change pitcher, to find the francs I had left from my last trip to Geneva, and the design is the same. Beautiful coins like those are still circulating, of course now they are not made of silver anymore! Very beautiful coins! If only our mint could learn from the Swiss! foreheadslap.gif

It's nice that you were able to see some coins and buy some cool things. I have to agree that those Swiss coins always seem to have terrific luster to them.

No nicely toned Washingtons!?!?!? 893whatthe.gif I guess that means that a few of us on the board own most of them! insane.gif

The weather must be beautiful down there. I'll be there next year.

I'd agree with you in there was little I could afford. I was surprised at the extent of the very high grade and high priced material at the show. I was hoping to find some MS63 and 64 early commem.s but 65 and above seemed to be the norm, with many of the same type. I can't even begin to tell you how many San Diego and Cleveland commem.s I saw. It was like they were giving them out at the door. I know they're common, but damn, enough is enough already.

I intended to go both Friday and today, saturday, but I left quite early today without going back to the show. I was a bit put off. This was my first trip to FUN so now I know what to expect next year when it comes to my hometown in Ft. Lauderdale.

The displays were nice. The 1913 nickel and G. Bingham's collection was extremely impressive and something to aspire to.

I did find one thing that made me happy. In a case with like a whole 6 coins I happened to spot a Cincinnati commem. slabbed MS63. This was perfect for me. I won't pay 64 or above prices for a coin that commemorates an event that never even happened so the 63 was a great find for me. It was nice, clean, white and I got it for greysheet so I was happy with that. Other than that and a decent Pilgrim commem. and that's all I got. Just not too much really getting my attention that was reasonably priced and the dealers just wouldn't budge, as I expected.

And that's my whole story. sign-rantpost.gif

360956-scan0005.gif.af38b38da11b8dc2300d788e51efbe1b.gif

I received my first Swiss gold coin from a board member in a swap, not knowing what he was going to send. I got the way better of the deal, what a beautiful coin it is. I don't know if there are ever any real bargains to be had at these major shows, all of the coins I bought there last year I paid more for than I had planned but they were really eye-appealing.

I ended up buying nothing. I saw a nice proof 1937 buffalo, but it was in PF68. I could buy one in 65 but not 68. Many slab coins were very high end and were too much for me.

I looked at raw standing liberty quarters and Peace dollars. Again, I found nothiong I liked. One was a Full head MS standing quarter. It was something like $4,000 but it had been scrubbed and had a fake flashyness. Raw Peace dollars were low end MS61-62 and didn't interest me.