• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

To Slab or not to Slab........That is the question.

12 posts in this topic

Let me lay the foundation for the question. A few years back, I had started a 7070 album with all raw coins. My collecting interests changed when I started puting together my current type set using nothing but Anacs photo certificates from the 1970's and 80's. So now I have a buch of raw coins that don't fit my current collecting needs. I have sold a few that there was no question whether they needed to be slabbed or not. I'm down to a few that are question marks. The selling venue is Ebay. Would you slab this before selling or just sell it raw with good photos?

The photos are a good representation of the coin concerning surfaces, color and luster.

1857O.jpg1857R.jpg

I believe I would have it slabbed for sure, JJ. I feel sure you would better than recoup your money. If you have time let Rick Snow look at it. I can't see that it is either of the three Snow 7-8 or 9 varieties but I definitely see some clashing going on above the eagle's neck and wing. I think you would lose quite some value selling raw on ebay. JMHO.

Jim

Beautiful.Looks Full red. I've been wanting one of these in this condition forever. For $16+ 2-way shipping/grading fee it's worth the added value a slab will give it.

This is a situation where certification probably is appropriate. Your coin could grade as high as MS-63, in which case, the $30 or so only represents 5% of the overall approximate value ($600). 5% is about my threshold for pain.

If you think it will only go MS-62 or lower, though, then I wouldn't do it. Then, you are around 10%, and that's a big tax to pay.

That is a very nice FEC. I think I would have it slabbed also. Too many fakes out there. With this being in such nice condition, it may make some people too cautious and you might not be able to get the actual money it's worth.

I think Bobby makes a great point...when I see a raw coin that is this nice on ebay, my first reaction is.."why isn't it slabbed?".."has it been cleaned/rejected?".."what am I not seeing?"..etc...

with the die clashes and other landmarks, it should be easy for Snow to attribute...who knows, maybe you'll get lucky and it is a rare die pairing or something...

I think Bobby makes a great point...when I see a raw coin that is this nice on ebay, my first reaction is.."why isn't it slabbed?".."has it been cleaned/rejected?".."what am I not seeing?"..etc...

The funny thing is... when I see a slabbed coin on ebay, my first reaction is "why is it on ebay"? overgraded? turned in the slab? graders missed something? lol

As a I wrote across the street, I would get this coin slabbed. It should get an MS-63 and has a minor shot at MS-64. Most of the MS-63 graded Flyers that I've seen were not as nice as this coin.