• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lincolns, PCGS or NGC?

14 posts in this topic

1946-MS66....NGC Value, $90, PCGS Value $350

1947-MS66....NGC Value $70, PCGS Value $260

1948-MS66....NGC Value $66, PCGS Value $350

Source is the PCGS price guide and Numismedia

This seems rather ridiculous. Which ones would you Lincoln collectors buy? I own them in NGC, but at a little higher price. Should I try to crossover and get the PCGS grade?

I usually take the PCGS guide and divede it by 3. The value is usually about a third of what they try to show. This is why there are alot of scammers on ebay with PCGS guide prices, trying to lure in unknowledgable buyers to buy the same coin they can get in an NGC slab for a lot less. And same coin to boot!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i would buy the coin in the pcgs or ngc holder that was pq for the grade and if the coin was for example designated full red then it would need to be original 100% red

be it in an ngc or pcgs holder

i would buy the coin in the pcgs or ngc holder that was pq for the grade and if the coin was for example designated full red then it would need to be original 100% red

be it in an ngc or pcgs holder

I agree. I like the look of Lincolns in PCGS slabs better but the quality of the coin is what matters the most.

This is why I have never bought a high-priced Lincoln cent in a PCGS holder. I much prefer to cherry-pick a nice NGC Lincoln and save 80%.

They say that a fool and his money are soon parted, and judging by absurd prices listed by numismedia, there may be some truth to that saying.

This is why I have never bought a high-priced Lincoln cent in a PCGS holder. I much prefer to cherry-pick a nice NGC Lincoln and save 80%.

They say that a fool and his money are soon parted, and judging by absurd prices listed by numismedia, there may be some truth to that saying.

"A fool and his money are lucky to find each other in the first place!" --Gordon Gekko

When there is that much of a difference, one wonders if there is something going on behind the scenes.

Scott

I agree that the price guides are whacked. But sometimes not in the direction that you would think.

There are plenty of coins out there that are PQ or just aren't seen at auction that bring 200 to 1000 percent more than the price guides suggest. There are those also that are worth much less than the slabbing fee itself.

As for me, for the coins I collect, which are no way upper end type coins. I feel comfortable paying in the neighborhood of 50 - 75% of listed guide value. Although with the economic downfall, I'm probably doing a bit better than that lately.

But I've watched the auctions for these dates and if they are in a PCGS slab, they are getting the PCGS price guide price. The same coins in NCG slabs are bringing 1/3rd of that. Seems like it's a heck of a time to be buying NGC graded Lincolns. Most series like Silver dollars, halves, etc don't have this huge price disparity between the two grading services. There has to a reason that Lincoln's do. I've seen them trade side by side in the same auction with the PCGS graded coin bringing 3 times what the NGC coin brought. I don't get it.

Price """""""Guides"""""""" ... note the quotes. PCGS doesn't reflect market pricing for Lincolns. I prefer PCGS graded pieces, as I like the holder better, with one main exception. I hate seeing proofs in PCGS slabs, and only buy NGC graded proof Lincolns... Just the pet peeves of a Lincoln collector.

Most series like Silver dollars, halves, etc don't have this huge price disparity between the two grading services. There has to a reason that Lincoln's do.

Two reasons: (1) PCGS registry set fanaticism, and (2) PCGS has always had a better guarantee for copper.

With Lincolns I prefer PCGS plastic, especially when dealing with ms67 coins. PCGS is more consistent with their grading than NGC in my opinion.

With Lincolns I prefer PCGS plastic, especially when dealing with ms67 coins. PCGS is more consistent with their grading than NGC in my opinion.

Exactly. PCGS MS67 Lincolns 90% of the time are much better quality than NGC 67s

When there is that much of a difference, one wonders if there is something going on behind the scenes.

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...