• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When you go off into the great hereafter, how do you prevent.............

6 posts in this topic

your fabulous coin collection from falling into the wrong hands. I mean, if by some sort of tragedy, you get smashed by a Mack truck, how do you give intructions to your love ones or friends to dispose of your collection properly. I have had this discussion with others, and the best resolution for me was to place and envelope with proper instructions with the coin collection informing with which auction house to sell the coins. Someone mentioned record it in a will, but the coins change way to often to keep updating the will. I have also heard off many stories of 'Uncle Joe's' lifetime collection sold to a local dealer for micropennies. Any suggestions?

TRUTH

What I've done is put a letter in my safe box to my Sister, who's name is on my box and has the other key. Basically I gave her the name of a couple dealers that I know and trust (that's hard for me to say smirk.gif) and told her to deal with them. I did at one point tell her who to go to with the more expensive pieces.

But like you mentioned, what we have acquired changes once in a while. Good topic though, and everybody should have a plan. Often we don't because as people we really don't think it's a reality that the "Big dirt nap" can come at any time.

Heritage just sent me a free book on how to prepare your estate and all those untimely things. I believe if you go to their web-site they're giving it away for free.

The wife and I have a will. If something should happen to me then my will is worded somehow that my coin collection in it's entirety is left to our son.

If something would happen to all of us I believe my father is the recipient.

I'm with Goose on this. My wife and I both have wills that leave everything to the other (with mine specifically listing my collection) and, if we should pass at the same time the collection goes to my children. Of course, the will notwithstanding, my wife did ask me how she should 'disperse' my collection if I die first. My answer: with the insurance money and other assets we have there is no reason any of those coins should be sold...she won't need to. The best thing she can do with them is to divide them between my children. My youngest son is turning into a collector and he can advise his siblings.

Well, my wife understands how much my collection means to me. I suppose if it happened, she would keep everything and leave it to my young son when her time came.