• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Fugio Rarity Question

11 posts in this topic

I own a Fugio copper, states left, united right, cinquefoils incuse - Newman N, reverse die 16. When I first acquired the piece, the latest Newman book (as I recall - I sold the book) listed it as a Rarity 3 (201-500 made). However, I looked it up in Bowers new book from Whitman on Colonial and Early American Coins and in his Fugio section he uses the URS Scale and assigns it as URS-7 (33-64).

Eric Newman was a contributor to Bowers book. Does anyone know which rarity rating is more accurate?

Bowers notes for the 16-N: "Rare. Usually seen in low grades. Planchet quality varies. Rarity: URS-7."

My piece is graded PCGS VF25. Purchased from Shawn Yancey:

FugioCloseup.jpg[/img]

Bob - thanks for taking the time to look up those links. Seems to be a disparity between whether R3 or R4, but it is unknown what the source was for their opinion.

Before Newman's latest Fugio book came out, the Notre Dame site listed it as R4. However, since Newman is the renowned expert, his new book indicated R3 which is what I tend to believe. It was a tad confusing that Bowers says differently with his new book, hence the question.

Again, thank you.

MidLifeCrisis on the CU Forum stated this:

"For what it's worth...

Alan Kessler estimated the 16-N.1 variety was Rarity 5 (31-75 known) in conditions ranging from Very Good to Fine. At Very Fine and higher, his rarity estimates for this variety increased to R-6 up to R-8 for AU and uncirculated pieces. This was in 1976.

In the January 1991 edition of The Colonial Newsletter, a Fugio weight survey update included an appendix with rarity estimates for each variety. As of 1991, the 16-N was estimated at R-5.

Since I believe the recent Newman Fugio book, although a great reference, is not without errors, I'm inclined to believe Bowers' numbers are more accurate.

But estimating rarity is certainly not an exact science."

above average planchet and color for this particular variety

solid for the grade

above average eye appeal for this particular variety

overall i rate this coin as it stands for what it is

5 out of 5

(thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u

Thank you michael. Now, I must quote your ode since it was a classic! :applause:

"ode to a fugio

tender fugio you embody all the spirits of the american people past future and present!!

you were the first officially coin of the new american republic and you have stood the test of time

much has been written about you and many collect your varities with a passion!!

you worked hard in our early economy promoting not only commerce but

the early republic!!

you are truly historic from all sides

every american should own either a fugio cent and/or a pine tree shilling

to not only remind us of our past but to give us hope and strength for our future

loving fugio"

wow thanks !!

fugios are one of the more important colonial coins and in fact the first coin issued and authorized by the continental congress for the united states!!

and finding any decent fugios in vf/xf with great surfaces and color with very good eye appeal is really difficult

a significant early coin

catbert based on your coins choice planchet and surfaces combined makes this coin have great eye appeal

because of the overall quaity of this coin again due to

color

surfaces

your coin is to me R-6

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

for example

same with any common dated 1830's bust half that is rarity -1

if the coin is a decent never cleaned or dipped and never soap and watered totally original great eye appealling dove grey high point bust half

for me even if it is a common dare like 1833 and rarity -1 with the above qualities and again never cleaned or dipped, soap and watered etc. no deep spotting or corrosion etc. the coin actually becomes at least r-4+ due to originality

and yes there are deeply dark original coins that have no eye appeal but you want one that is original with at least decent eye appeal

coins like this i think are undervalued and in the up and coming future will command premiums from type collectors

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

this is why with early dollars 1794-1803 the hardest coin to get a CAC STICKER ON IS an early dollar as cac rejects most all of them because so many might be okie eye appeal vf xf au but they are cleaned and bright

that kills the coin for me

even the common available large eagle bust dollar becomes a really scarce+ not usually seen item if the coin has unmolested surfaces with thick original never played with dipped, cleaned soap and watered surfaces even in fine or vf xf au and also has above average eye appeal

now a small eagle bust dollar is a rarity with surfaces like the above in fine-vf xf au and good eye appeal

and we wont talk about really choice au or unc. bust dollars as they are rare and out of price range for most in fact a coin i dont even dream about

Some better pics from Todd Pollock (note I used Bower's rarity rating!):

20.jpg

Very nice coin! However, minateg and Rarity are two different things. An R.5 does not mean that 31 to 75 were struck. That's how many are known to survive.