• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why did I do that ??

19 posts in this topic

The 1853 Large cent below is a coin I have had since I was 12 years old.

Can you guess what that bad 12 year old used to mess up the reverse ?

83258.jpg.5a5fcccc482c544d77af367f13562968.jpg

83259.jpg.0ffdb76848802996b1b30059218a2385.jpg

Bugman got it , yes I used an eraser !!!!! I did not know I ruined the coin , I was just a kid . I wanted to make it “shinny” I started to do it and then realized it looked like .

Bugman got it , yes I used an eraser !!!!! I did not know I ruined the coin , I was just a kid . I wanted to make it “shinny” I started to do it and then realized it looked like .

Please tell me you were bored.......I never even thought about doing something like that.

My brother and I put all of a Lincoln set (not complete and all pulled from circulation)

into a copper wash bath and used a tooth brush to get the hard stuff off.

I still have the set and they have some awesome toning know.

My method of choise was steel wool back when I was young. :o

Please tell me you were bored.......I never even thought about doing something like that.

My brother and I put all of a Lincoln set (not complete and all pulled from circulation)

Guess what I also did it on some of my lincolns as well !!

I was smart enough to leave my 1909 VDB and 1909-S Lincolns alone .

Jaime, my brother and I did the same thing. I love how it turned the steel cents into copper looking ones. Yep, still have that album also, toning and all.

Ask some of them AEC'ers like Bill Jones to work on it for you. Those guys are talented. Don't think you can hurt it much more with a little Presto Dabo.

A little Dellar's Darkener, an camel hair brush...you know.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

The coin collecting boards of the mid-1930s advised users to clean their coins with vinegar and a soft eraser. This bit of wisdom was deleted from the boards around 1937.

For me it was salt and vinegar. Worst possible combo to use when surprising one's father for Father's day by cleaning his prized lincoln cent for him (every single one - yes, EVERY one of the coins)

This was 1965 so there was no 'conservation back then - so I think he just put them in water for a while and put them back in the book. I found them years later - the '09SVDB is barely recognizable - it was probably an ef coin...

For me it was salt and vinegar. Worst possible combo to use when surprising one's father for Father's day by cleaning his prized lincoln cent for him (every single one - yes, EVERY one of the coins)

This was 1965 so there was no 'conservation back then - so I think he just put them in water for a while and put them back in the book. I found them years later - the '09SVDB is barely recognizable - it was probably an ef coin...

There's a very good reason to put coins in slabs!!!