• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I for one am glad......

12 posts in this topic

That there are Professional grading companys....

I see PCGS & NGC as the clear leaders with ANACs coming in third...

Chances are if you stick with these three you won't get stuck with a counterfiet coin or grossly overgraded coin......

Even some of the lesser rate companys such as out there provide a oppertunity to find GEMs in the rough at a cheaper price.....

I have found some raw Franklins and had them graded and sold them for a tremendous profit that would not have been possible had it not been for the top tier grading companys...

Also, the big two provide a nice online community where we can come and learn and see other fabulous coins....

I also collect coins raw, I am working on a uncirculated merc set that I am putting in a old National Coin Album..... This is a very fun set to do raw..... And I'm hoping for some nice toners as a result......

I do like my slabs also, very easy storage and the ability to examine/showoff a coin at a time and not worry about the coin getting damaged......

But imagine if there was only one grading company out there for coins.... Would this lead to problems?

It seems that there are checks and balances between the big two, and they both keep each other on their toes.....

For Comics, CGC is the only garding company that I know of, they grade many of my books, and so far there really isn't any problems with this, they do a great job, but some of the things that the coin folks complain about, so do the comic cats...

Submission times, costs, grading consistency... ect.........

Its interesting what a slab with a number can do for the value of a item, whether it be Comic, Coin or Sports Card.....

Overall I think the Professional grading companys are for the good of the hobby, they are not perfect and never will be, somebody will always be unhappy at one point or another.... But i'm glad they are here...... grin.gif

Nice to see that you are collecting MS Mercs in the raw state.If you would have said circulated Mercs a little negative feeling would have been had. Way to much competition when looking for these and in my opinion much harder to find in nice XF/AU condition than their Mint State counterparts.

Nice Post also. Little reminder posts like this need to be posted every now and then.

grin.gif

Groovy Rainbows!!! I love it, the 58's are amongst the most colorful coins to come out of the original mint sets......

that one is HepKitty approved!

I see PCGS & NGC as the clear leaders with ANACs coming in third...

True. As long as I've been around this has been the case regardless of all the new companys named SEGSICGNMTST that start-up. laugh.gif

Chances are if you stick with these three you won't get stuck with a counterfiet coin or grossly overgraded coin......

True but you can still get stuck with a grossly OVERPRICED coin...unfortunately.

Even some of the lesser rate companys such as out there provide a oppertunity to find GEMs in the rough at a cheaper price.....

I have found some raw Franklins and had them graded and sold them for a tremendous profit that would not have been possible had it not been for the top tier grading companys...

This has more to do with the lack of effeciency in the market than it does with TPG's. You, Lucy, are going to pretty much kick the crappy out of anyone when it comes to Franklins since you know the series real well. If you have been doing this a LONG TIME you are probably as good any evaluator of a Franklin as any PCGS grader. This will hold true with anyone who has experience in a particular series.

I do like my slabs also, very easy storage and the ability to examine/showoff a coin at a time and not worry about the coin getting damaged......

I don't really agree here. Slabs do provide this but I find them bulky and inconvieniant. Capitol Plastics or those little round holders with the black soft material inside are far better (forgot the name of those).

But imagine if there was only one grading company out there for coins.... Would this lead to problems?

Monopoly's are never good.

Great post, Lucy laugh.gif

jom

those little round holders with the black soft material inside are far better (forgot the name of those).

Airtites? Very popular with those world coin weirdos. thumbsup2.gif

-JamminJ