• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are we really just a bunch of bigots?

27 posts in this topic

Ok, we've had a couple of more significant things happen lately, the biggest one being the Pr-70 cent deal, and many who post primarily on the PCGS forums have come here, stated their case and then either directly or implied that we do nothing but bash PCGS. Is that really the case?

If PCGS does something does that mean we must remain silent just because we are on this forum, even though it may impact the entire hobby?

Do we have a group of folks that primarily post over here and occasionally stop by the PCGS forum and accuse them of NGC bashing when they post something negative about NGC?

Personally, I post here because I can't stand many of the people across the street. Of the ones there that I like, 90% also post here too, so it's clearly not worth the annoyance to post there. Would I say the same thing if NGC was the culprit in these cases? If you know me, you know I would. But the simple truth is that these sorts of things happen far less often over here. And when they do happen, I wouldn't think about posting a message across the street decrying their posts about it. Most of us have coins slabbed by all the major services, and when any of them pull something that may affect their value, we all have a right to talk about it.

So, to answer my own question, no, we are not just anti-PCGS bigots, I think we are concerned collectors that want what is best for our hobby, and we sure as heck don't need anyone's permission or blessing in order to talk about it.

I would agree at times, but most of the time there is hardly any bashing going on here. And the best part is that the bashing that does occur is now confined to the coin tangent forum rather than the main coin forum.

As an ex-PCGS forum member, I left because if your opinion differs from the general concensus, you can be lambasted with no pity for your own beliefs. If you do not CAREFULLY word every post, they seem to find something to nit-pik with it almost every time.

There are good people over there that are willing to see a different point of view on just about everything, but the baddies out-weighed the good guys. I just got tired of most of them not really being interested in the hobby for the sake of the hobby and used their forum as a means of self-promotion and ego stroking. VERY seldom ( if at all) seen here.

Before I began posting to this board, I lurked for some time, both here and the PCGS board. I came away with the feeling that a large number of people posting on the PCGS board were PCGS snobs, while over here there seems to be more people who appreciate the actual coins, regardless of who’s holder they are in.

Since I collect coins and not holders, it was not hard for me to decide where I wanted to spend my time.

Personally, I don’t think that there is a lot of PCGS bashing going on here. I believe that most of us on this board are concerned collectors who will talk about anything having to do with the hobby, and if that happens to involve PCGS, so be it.

For the record at least 50% of the certified coins I own are in PCGS holders.

John

...and then either directly or implied that we do nothing but bash PCGS. Is that really the case?

cry2.gif

Whaaaah!! .....If they don't like it they can kiss my happy butt.

If PCGS does something does that mean we must remain silent just because we are on this forum, even though it may impact the entire hobby?

Of course not. Again, if someone doesn't like the criticism then they should clean up their act.

Do we have a group of folks that primarily post over here and occasionally stop by the PCGS forum and accuse them of NGC bashing when they post something negative about NGC?

I don't do this. I got over there occationally to lend a hand in a question or crack a typically bad joke of mine.

Personally, I post here because I can't stand many of the people across the street.

I started posting here in large amounts after Greg got axed over there. I find this place much more informative (probably because of the likes of you, Hoot, Truth, TomB etc). Over there it is a constant whine and cry about GRADING. And more discussions about GRADING. Then there are the "What does my coin GRADE?" threads. Grading Grading Grading. You'd think that is the ONLY subject to discuss about the coin market.

I never had a difficult time with anyone over there but there are a couple of posters (who'll remain nameless) who try to come off as experts when it is well known they are only VERY new collectors. Annoying....

So, to answer my own question, no, we are not just anti-PCGS bigots, I think we are concerned collectors that want what is best for our hobby, and we sure as heck don't need anyone's permission or blessing in order to talk about it.

PCGS ssucks. laugh.gif

jom

Let me take a moment to make sure everyone understands what I said or meant to say. I said some people not all, not even many. The postings I was referring to were those that call employees of PCGS, crooks, liars, thieves etc., beyond what I consider truthful or reasonable in their assesment. In others they have an agenda or ax to grind. If you do go over their and grind it. Lord knows there are many over there who would join in. If you feel I was mistaken for trying to point that out so be it. I won't change your opinion and I guarantee you won't change mine. wink.gif

If anyone wants to twist what I said to vent their frustrations, that's ok with me too (not referring to you jtryka, I respect your thoughts). I will however set the record straight.

I have every reason to dislike PCGS, why? because my first two orders from them showed me they lacked quality control. When I called with my concerns, their customer service showed me they are not customer oriented.

Since then there have been numerous users banned for having their own opinion, there was the "little miss know it all" / "dealers don't know how to grade" episode. There have been numerous finger print/quality control issues, guarentee time issues, authentication issues (Jade Coin) and now the issue with the PR70 Lincoln. I don't think anyone can deny whenever DH opens his mouth, controversy starts.

I care about the hobby and that's why I speak up when the situation calls for it. I would have respected PCGS a tad bid more had they handled the Jade situation properly, instead they dropped the ball... and they didn't handle the 35K Proof Lincoln situation until it became an embarassing situation.

PCGS needs to do some damage control. I wonder if they are more concerned about the bottom line (being a public company) rather than doing the right thing with it's customers?

I guess I'm just a PCGS Bigot... oh well!

-Dave

...and then either directly or implied that we do nothing but bash PCGS. Is that really the case?

cry2.gif

Whaaaah!! .....If they don't like it they can kiss my happy butt.

and atleast we have free speech here. I just had to respond so I can add that crying 'smiley' face. smile.gif

and atleast we have free speech here. I just had to respond so I can add that crying 'smiley' face. smile.gif

Yeah, that's one of my all-time favorites...lol

jom

Jom, what the heck is a happy butt? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif I like that whiney cry face also. grin.gif I have to agree with most, the Coin Forum here is much more Genteel and informative without all the weniee threads.

TRUTH

I haven't been on the boards of both NGC and PCGS too long but I am of the impression that the PCGS boards thrive trying to find sellers they think are dishonest. While generally a good service to ID bad guys, somethmes a minor typo of the keyboard on the seller's part causes a disaster. They feed on eBay sellers and criticize buyers who pay more than they would. Overall I feel there is much more aggression on PCGS.

Having said all that, I enjoy both boards because there are still plenty of threads with no nasty feelings at PCGS.

Let me take a moment to make sure everyone understands what I said or meant to say. I said some people not all, not even many. The postings I was referring to were those that call employees of PCGS, crooks, liars, thieves etc., beyond what I consider truthful or reasonable in their assesment. In others they have an agenda or ax to grind. If you do go over their and grind it. Lord knows there are many over there who would join in. If you feel I was mistaken for trying to point that out so be it. I won't change your opinion and I guarantee you won't change mine. wink.gif

If anyone wants to twist what I said to vent their frustrations, that's ok with me too (not referring to you jtryka, I respect your thoughts). I will however set the record straight.

Irishmike, I wasn't necessarily directing my comments at you alone, though I admit that on occasion you are one of the people. I guess my problem is with folks that come in and make more blanket statements, or general statements when it's really just one or two people that they strongly disagree with. Well, we are pretty mature here, so if you have a problem with Greg or someone else bashing PCGS, call them on it, but please try not to indict the rest of us. 99% of the posting here has nothing to do with PCGS, and personally, this is the only place I really hear about what goes on there, so even if you or someone else consider a negative post bashing, I still want to know about it. As for the other threads that are merely personal attacks against DH or anyone esle over there, well, I won't deny they happen, but most of the time the rest of us just ignore it. As for changing minds, I don't think you and I are that far apart on this issue, and if either of us changes his mind, we'd likely be moving further apart than closer. I also appreciate your comments, especially when you clear up some statements that might not have been clear the first time (at least for some of us).

but there are a couple of posters (who'll remain nameless) who try to come off as experts when it is well known they are only VERY new collectors. Annoying....

Then one of them comes here and provides absolutely no content. More NGC for me.

Man I am sorry I ruffled a couple of feathers. I'll just crawl back over to the other side of the street and linger in obscurity.

Second thought. Naw I think I will post here when I feel like it seems how the registration was set up the second day the forums were in existance and my coin set was registered before most of you folks even knew this place was around.

Please do not take this to heart because in general all posts I make like this one have a little sarcastic vein to them. Posting on forums does not make a determination in my mind whether I LIKE a person or not. Meeting a person in the flesh does that. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

With the above stated you all have a Very Nice Day.

Man I am sorry I ruffled a couple of feathers. I'll just crawl back over to the other side of the street and linger in obscurity.

Second thought. Naw I think I will post here when I feel like it seems how the registration was set up the second day the forums were in existance and my coin set was registered before most of you folks even knew this place was around.

Please do not take this to heart because in general all posts I make like this one have a little sarcastic vein to them. Posting on forums does not make a determination in my mind whether I LIKE a person or not. Meeting a person in the flesh does that. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

With the above stated you all have a Very Nice Day.

Excellent! Worth a second read.

Actually if PCGS loses credibility, we all lose. My guess is that all of us have at least some TPG'ed coins from both services. This is why I get upset when HRH acts like a jerk. He is harming the whole hobby. Plus he really is not the center of the universe, as he portrays himself sometimes. I would personally be much happier if he showed more restraint, consistancy and demonstrated more fairness toward his customers, large or small.

Actually if PCGS loses credibility, we all lose. My guess is that all of us have at least some TPG'ed coins from both services. This is why I get upset when HRH acts like a jerk. He is harming the whole hobby. Plus he really is not the center of the universe, as he portrays himself sometimes. I would personally be much happier if he showed more restraint, consistancy and demonstrated more fairness toward his customers, large or small.

I couldn't agree with you more. And another thing that I believe shows us to be more interested in the impact no the hobby itself is that NGC is not immune to our criticism. Remember when they announced the pricing for multi-coin holders? I don't think one person said anything remotely positive!

I can see how one or many may see this board as PCGS bash central right now. We have been discussing PCGS and Hall like crazy lately, but, pointing out their shortcomings, lack of reliability, lack of credibility, rudeness, and arrogance are some one of the big issues right now. To those who are new to these boards, or those who don't post here often, it could seem like a bash factory. To discuss these matters and state your opinion, regardless of how extreme or lengthy is nothing more than an expression of views on a current hot topic.

If you were to do research and count the topics including negative comments about PCGS and those threads that don't even mention PCGS I'm sure It'd be under 1 percent.

Oh yeah,.......................Hall, a.k.a. devil.gif, and PCGS, a.k.a. insane.gif , SUCK!