• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1955/55 lincoln - what will NGC say?

32 posts in this topic

Hello,

Just signed up - thinking of sending this in as one of my 5 freebies... what do you all think?

I have had this coin for 45 years - my dad got it in 1955, held onto it, and gave it to me in 1965 after I had started collecting. The coin has some red showing between the lettering and looks pretty nice.

Thanks,

Landon Johnson

100_0325.jpg[/img]

100_0343.jpg

i cant see the coin in hand but if it is a problem free original genuine coin which it appears to be from the photos

i grade it at least xf-45+ if not au-50

good luck with it and welcome to the boards!

great post physics

because of your post i change my grade of this 55 DDO at least au-50 based again on the photo

as i think this coin in hand is more lusterous than the graded ngc xf-45

When I got the coin in the mid sixties it was a-blazin' red. Over the years I have seen it change to the brown it is now, but there are some nice areas on the reverse that have some of tat luster - especially between the letters in "United States of America".

Keeping it in your pocket for a few years doesn't help...

Strong XF45-->AU55 with fantastic doubling. The only error I have ever lusted after and one of my favorite US coins.

Definitely send it in!

always slab a 55ddo...As a Lincoln collector, I have to say that I feel it's not an AU piece. EF-40 was my gut, and I'll stick no higher than a 45. The reverse is very attractive, but the obverse appears to have a few too many nicks for an AU coin IMHO. If I had that in my pocket, I would be jumping up and down every morning...lol

always slab a 55ddo...As a Lincoln collector, I have to say that I feel it's not an AU piece. EF-40 was my gut, and I'll stick no higher than a 45. The reverse is very attractive, but the obverse appears to have a few too many nicks for an AU coin IMHO. If I had that in my pocket, I would be jumping up and down every morning...lol
Even an uncirculated coin have have numerous nicks - that's not a reason to call this coin XF instead of AU.

Jimbucks, thank you very much but if there is one thing I carry to the grave it will be this coin. It is one of very few things that has been a constant in my life, through moves, schools, jobs, towns, you name it it has been there with me.

I can't wait to get it back from NGC and see what it comes up as, but it tuly won't matter.

Thanks again!

LJ

...if there is one thing I will carry to the grave it will be this coin. It is one of very few things that has been a constant in my life, through moves, schools, jobs, towns, you name it it has been there with me.

The Collector Of The Month™ Award goes to Dorkdog...:cool:

Even an uncirculated coin have have numerous nicks - that's not a reason to call this coin XF instead of AU.

True, but those nicks are from circulation, be it in a pocket or not. MS nicks are generally more mint related or solely from contact from other cents in my Lincoln experiences. But wth, maybe I'm wrong. You can't grade from a picture, maybe my eyes aren't seeing the same things you guys are. Anyways, cheers,

Jeff

Results are in!

NGC graded this coin AU-50

Better than I expected!

LJ

Now that's one valuable coin.Something I've always wanted. I could have gotten one when I first started collecting from my local shop owner cheap but I didn't have quite enough.Bought a 16D Merc instead. Just like you,my local coin shop owner would give me great deals as encouragement,I suppose.

That's a difference of a hundred bucks or so? Not that I will ever sell it...

Can't believe it came out that high after riding around in my jeans pocket as a teen during my bicycling years. I think of that denim, back and forth, back and forth - heck it must have been an MS70 coin when I started!

LJ