• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Q David Bowers back at ANR

9 posts in this topic

(WOLFEBORO – JANUARY 1) American Numismatic Rarities, LLC of Wolfeboro, New Hampshire today welcomes acclaimed numismatic authority Q. David Bowers to their staff, as he assumes the position of numismatic director. As numismatic director, Bowers will be responsible for the oversight of catalogue production and editing, various writing and research projects, and leading the talented American Numismatic Rarities staff of numismatic experts. “We are very elated to have Dave aboard with us, as he has been an inspiration and friend to each and every member of our staff,” said Christine Karstedt, the firm’s president. “Dave brings not only world-class knowledge to our operation, but a heartfelt interest in our work and a dedication to collectors that will enable us to better serve the numismatic community.”

Since beginning his career as a teenager in 1953, Bowers’ lifelong interest in numismatics and pursuit of scholarly and commercial success in rare coins has made him perhaps the most honored American numismatist ever. Named by CoinAge magazine as one of the “Numismatists of the Century,” Bowers has been honored by the American Numismatic Association with its two highest awards – the Farran Zerbe Memorial Award and Numismatist of the Year. He went on to found and run several numismatic firms, including Empire Coin Company, Bowers and Ruddy Galleries (with James Ruddy), Bowers and Merena Galleries, and Auctions by Bowers and Merena, Inc. (with Raymond N. Merena). Beginning in 2003, he has worked as numismatic director for Whitman Publishing, LLC, a position he continues with enthusiasm.

Q. David Bowers is the author of more than 40 works, mostly written in the field of rare coins, including the ANA Centennial History, History of United States Coinage (for Johns Hopkins University), Adventures with Rare Coins, the two-volume Silver Dollars and Trade Dollars of the United States, and A California Gold Rush History. More of Bowers’ books have won “Book of the Year” honors from the Numismatic Literary Guild and Professional Numismatists Guild than any other author. He has catalogued many of the finest collections ever assembled, including the Eliasberg Collection, the Norweb Collection, the Garrett Collection, and the Harry W. Bass Jr. Collection.

Bowers has served as president of both the American Numismatic Association (1983-1985) and the Professional Numismatists Guild (1977-1979), who awarded him with their highest honor, the Founder’s Award. Bowers is the only person to have served as president of both organizations. Bowers graduated from Pennsylvania State University in 1960 and received its Distinguished Alumnus Award from the College of Business Administration in 1976. He has lectured at Harvard University and appeared on The Today Show in addition to programs on CNN, CBS, ABC, NBC, Fox, The Discovery Channel, and the History Channel.

Describing Q. David Bowers in the December 1999 issue of CoinAge, Donn Pearlman noted “No one has done more to promote numismatic education than Dave Bowers has done through his books and newspaper and magazine articles. No one has combined so many talents: He's not just a prolific writer, but also a leading dealer and auctioneer. And no one has given so freely of his time and resources to promote pure collecting.” His award-winning columns in The Numismatist and Coin World have been among the most popular columns in each periodical for years. “Stated simply, Dave Bowers is the best-known and most noteworthy numismatist of the last 50 years,” stated Dr. Richard A. Bagg, who has worked with Dave Bowers for more than 20 years and currently serves as American Numismatic Rarities’ director of auction consignments. “We’re thrilled to be able to work with him again, and I’m sure all of our clients will be thrilled to see him back in this business.”

American Numismatic Rarities is a team of professionals well-known to the numismatic hobby: Christine Karstedt, Q. David Bowers, Dr. Richard A. Bagg, John Pack, Frank Van Valen, John Kraljevich, and photographer Douglas Plasencia, among others. Founded with a goal of presenting the finest numismatic auctions in America, the next ANR event is scheduled for March 2004 in Baltimore, Maryland. For details on consignments or to be placed on the firm’s mailing list, contact American Numismatic Rarities at Box 1804, Wolfeboro, New Hampshire, 03894 or call 866-811-1804. The American Numismatic Rarities website, including full photos and text from all previous ANR sales, is available online at www.anrcoins.com.

I guess we all knew it was just a matter of time. Good for him. Wish he and ANR all the best.

Am I missing something here? I can't find anything in the article that Bowers used to work for the CU Board of Directors!

Heck, I don't think I'd want anyone knowing about the lowlights of my life either! 27_laughing.gif

Congratulations Q. David Bowers! Although heading a new grading company is not too far fetch of an idea yet, is it?

Leo

893applaud-thumb.gif wonderful news! I have great respect for Dave Bowers and am glad to see that he will be working with ANR. It looks like Collectors Universe’s loss is ANR’s gain! smile.gif

John

Wihlborg:

Your comment about CU's loss is ANR's gain contains total truth! When I reentered coin collecting in the 1990s after stopping in the 1960s, I saw that one thing had not changed: Q. David Bowers was still at the top of the heap. In a very real sense, I felt honored that I could now afford to buy from Bowers and Merena.

Mark

Welcome back, Dave! He must have had a (1) year non-compete contract with CU. Dave is universally respected in our hobby and I am sure that we all are happy to hear of his return.

thumbsup2.gif

I AM THRILLED!! I think we all knew that he was involved, but I suppose for legal reasons he wasn't allowed. Seems kind of strange that almost 1 year to the day.....WELCOME BACK!!

David Bowers is a great man who really cares about the hobby. More specifically, he cares about the collector and the future of coin collecting. They are very lucky to have him.

David Bowers is a great man who really cares about the hobby. More specifically, he cares about the collector and the future of coin collecting. They are very lucky to have him.

Ditto.

This i9s great news - thanks for the post chinook! I have read most of 7 or 8 of Bowers' books and his work never ceases to amaze me. I simply don't know where anyone gets the time to do so much research, then mentally apprehends it, then intelligently and intelligably puts the research into their own words adding just the right pizzaz to make it fun to read! A very enjoyable and admirable person, QDB is! I had the pleasure of meeting him in Baltimore last summer. He was quite kind and cordial even though I could tell he was very busy. I walked away with his goldrush book for a mere $99, that made my arms about a foot longer just carrying it to the car. laugh.gif

Hoot