• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The allure to me of high quality MS, as opposed to Proof classic coinage..

29 posts in this topic

When I was younger, both as a collector and a dealer, I used to prefer the beauty and dazzle of Proof coins over their (typically less striking looking) business strike counterparts.

However, that has changed for me over the years. Now, I am more impressed by an attractive, well preserved business strike than I am a Proof coin. And it's largely because I know and appreciate that the former has defied big odds, while the later was saved as it was meant to be.

The above notwithstanding, I still love great looking Proof coins, and very rare/seldom seen Capped Bust examples, in particular, have always exerted a very strong pull on me.

Me too. There is just something about a coin that defied the odds and survived in nice condition. I also like the ability to see the quality differences much easier between an MS65 and MS66 than a PF65 and PF66.

Yep, I agree as well. There is something compelling about a coin destined to be "damaged" from wear that somehow survives the ravages of time. Proof coins were meant to be treasured all along, and so have that huge advantage over their commercial counterparts.

Neat thread idea!

I still feel like a conservationist though when I look at my 50’s proof sets. Think of all the thousands that have been opened and split up to be re-distributed over time. I hold in my hand something that was assembled by Mint workers over 50 years ago. Makes me feel good anyways.

Note: On the flat packs, some envelopes were opened artfully with pen knives, others were opened with a finger leaving ragged edges, but the coins inside are what really counts.

High end MS classic coinage is an area I feel more comfortable with because I believe I can differentiate the grades in this area better than with similar proof coinage. However, some series are so routinely poorly struck in MS that I like to see the proof coinage counterpart.

Yep, I agree as well. There is something compelling about a coin destined to be "damaged" from wear that somehow survives the ravages of time. Proof coins were meant to be treasured all along, and so have that huge advantage over their commercial counterparts.

Neat thread idea!

James, Greg and I all three agreeing on something - I'm either dreaming or it's April Fool's day. :D

;)

I almost universally prefer MS to Proof - classic, mid-20th century, and modern. I will almost always buy an Uncirculated modern set (mint set, commemorative, whatever) rather than a proof. I have never been a big fan of proof coinage. I really don't like toned proofs (no offense Schatzy - your dimes are beautiful, just not my thing ;) ). I guess to each his own.

If I had my way I'd run a type set as far as I could take it. The trouble is I don't like low grade Proofs, and I don't like a lot of them that have been dipped. And there are others, like the 1909-VDB cent that are so scarce and expensive that I just can't justify paying the price even if I could find. it.

I like to see designs in their best format, and for me that's often a Proof coin.

I wholeheartedly agree with Mark's (and the others) preference for MS vs proof coins. However, I actually prefer a lightly circulated (XF to AU) coin over a corresponding MS one, ie, one that for whatever short period of time it was actually did the job for which it was created.

I wholeheartedly agree with Mark's (and the others) preference for MS vs proof coins. However, I actually prefer a lightly circulated (XF to AU) coin over a corresponding MS one, ie, one that for whatever short period of time it was actually did the job for which it was created.
Jim, curiously, what is it about coins lower than XF in grade which apparently causes you not to like them as much? Less detail? Less luster? Both? Other? Thanks.

By the VF range enough detail has been lost that it impairs my study and enjoyment. By the time a coin has that much wear there are also usually corresponding nicks and dings that detract from a coins eye power. That doesn't mean that I turn my nose up at heavily circulated coins--heaven knows that I own enough of them--just that my preference is for lighter wear.

I like to see designs in their best format, and for me that's often a Proof coin.

I agree.

I love the 19th century proofs in many different denominations!

I'm a flowline nut so I have to jump in the MS camp also..and although I collect almost entirely MS66+ for slabs, I have several albums that I've built with matching XF and AU coins..I really like a quality circulated piece also.

James, Greg and I all three agreeing on something - I'm either dreaming or it's April Fool's day. :D;)

Plus TDN agreed too, and what's most frightening is that it happened in four consecutive posts :o !!!!!!

I am absolutely fully in this camp as well. Furthermore, I am attracted to nicer circulated coins with manufacturing characteristics that are derived from the hand-work of the early mint. I love adjustment marks, for example.

for me it all depends

for example proof morgan dollars

the ultimate 19th century proof type coin and hands down trumps any ms morgan

IF the proof morgan is one of those coins that remained unmolested ie. superb gem grade and was part of an original proof set that was boxed/cased at the time of issue and kept as such and these usually have beautiful medium to deep lavendar green blue toning; a particular type of coloration and look

and if the proof morgan has not been wiped; again superb gem and also toned with no distractions like spotting or streaks but just evenly toned with good cameo contrast ; but because of the toning they never get cameo or deep cameo from the services but are cameoes nonetheless

these are one of the rarest, i think desirable and most beautiful coins to have in a collection

for me it is not the allure of the proofs vs. ms business strikes but the allure of the either proof or ms specific coin in hand some proof and ms CLASSIC coins are alluring most are NOT

Me too. There is just something about a coin that defied the odds and survived in nice condition. I also like the ability to see the quality differences much easier between an MS65 and MS66 than a PF65 and PF66.

I agree....I don't pretend to be able to tell the difference between PF65-PF67 coins except for Proof IHCs so I stay away for the most part. Now when we are talking about an amazing toned Proof with that color splashed over watery fields.....now I am a sucker for that :cloud9:

I prefer MS coins to proof coins. It seems so much easier for proofs to show contact marks or blemishes.

A beautiful MS Seated Half is not something everyone has. A lusterous piece enhanced with exquisite golden toning is a super collectible to have.

I prefer MS coins over proofs because the surfaces of proof coins show every little contact mark as though it is a scar, whereas MS coinage carries it's bag marks and luster breaks with much more grace and eye appeal.

I prefer to find Prooflike coins. They are business strikes from fresh dies, and they often demonstrate a design at its finest, before die wear starts to distort things. They also resemble proofs, so its like the best of both worlds.

Beautiful MS coins are like finding a peasant girl who becomes famous for her beauty. Proof coins are very nice but they were struck into proverbial royalty to be the belle of the ball.

I like both.

I prefer to see the design as it was meant to be with a fully struck proof, especially a MPL :grin: and I am amazed at a wonderfully preserved MS coin.

The markets seem to agree also, as prices for MS coins are MUCH higher than itts proof counterpart even though surviving populations may be much less for the proof.