• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I was very interested until...........

11 posts in this topic

The hits on both the cheek and chin are killers. On a good day that might make MS66...

Are we talking about the 1964! Here is another picture of it with all the nicks circled. (See attachment) The long vertical circle shows a long scratch on the slab. And I believe there's a fingerprint in the left field noted with the 3 tiny circles. Way too many marks for a MS66 or a 65. But the sad truth is, that many new FS collectors are being led to believe that this is what a MS66 coin is suppose to look like and so they most likely have many other coins of this sort in MS66 and 67 grade and when the market falls, not even the seasoned FS collectors will want it at a fraction of what someone is going to pay for it.

Granted, the strike is strong for this date and if the coin is brilliant and has nice luster but with all those marks, it's a $35 coin!

The coin is obviously being bought for points for a registry set! 27_laughing.gif Otherwise, it sucks! 27_laughing.gif

Leo

357494-336201074o.jpg.143deef41a70edd8d664864ea03208cd.jpg

Leo, it says "...just a handful of scattered contact marks..." and there appears to be a GASH across the steps. Isn't this just another example of PeCeGeEs games with grading standards? I too, was watching this coin (and others), but the pan/zoom feature reveals EVERYTHING a coin exhibits, problem and benefit-wise. I agree it should be no more then a MS64, and THAT might be pushing it. Also do not see how they can call it FS with the steps broken with that gash. Not how I consider a FS to be a FS! IMO

David

I saw that but didn't want to set off any alarms preventing a sale. gossip.gif27_laughing.gif Actually, I really hope someone gets stuck with it, it will serve them right and in the long run it'll teach them THE LESSON. 27_laughing.gif I look at it as another way, though expensive, of taking this crapp off the market, literally. 27_laughing.gif

Leo

Actually, I really hope someone gets stuck with it, it will serve them right and in the long run it'll teach them THE LESSON. I look at it as another way, though expensive, of taking this crapp off the market, literally.

Leo,

Actually, someone buying it will probably not really take it off the market. At some point whether the buyer realizes right away or finds out later that it is overgraded/market graded/mechanical error (pick whatever term you like best) he/she will put the coin up for sale again, and there will be other ‘high-grade label’ collectors who will be more than happy to buy it so they can get the maximum registry points. 893whatthe.gif The thinking being that if the label says so it must be true, and if my set has more points than yours, than my set has to be better than yours! ‘Na na na na Na’ 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gifsmirk.gif

John

Leo, just for the record, we need to remember that the initial picture of the coin is already twice the size of a normal Jeff. One click of the zoom in and you go to over 3 1/2 times normal and a second click makes it 7 1/2 times normal. What you would regularly see on this coin in hand would probably be just the two hits to the obverse and all else would require magnification to see. Wihlborg brought this to my attention in a previous post and I keep forgetting to "allow" my brain to retain this fact. So while it appears to be graded too high, I might have to agree with it. I have compared the two hits on the obverse to some of my Jeffs with similar in size nicks and they are difficult to see without a 10X mag.

I also have a 1949-D Jeff with a similar gash across the steps in almost the exact manner as the 64. While I can live with the nicks on the obverse, I cannot get myself to acknowledge either coin as FS because of the break thru the steps. Maybe I am too much of a purist and/or my expectations for a FS designation are too exacting, but I do know I would not pay $3900. for this 64!

Here is my 1964 obv (raw)

358437-64%20001.jpg

Reverse

358438-64%20002.jpg

Steps

358439-64%20003.jpg

I'll sell this one to anybody for only $2,000!!! foreheadslap.gif

You can go to the testing area and view the same pics before I reduced them for posting. t64-1, t64-2 and t64-3 are around 80kb and the second set of pics t64-1a, t64-2a and t64-3a are @ 40 kb. BIG difference in what you can see and what is not seeable. The obv and rev pics here are 4 1/2 times larger then a normal Jeff and the step pic is 16 times larger!

589a8ba634fd4_358424-64001.jpg.fc43a71354d940b1bb449939b5960fa2.jpg

David,

Just for the record, I do believe that the hits probably look worse in the photo than they do on the coin, and without seeing it in person I think it could be a MS-66 if the hits are barely noticeable to the naked eye, but I do not feel it is full steps due to the hit across the steps.

John

John, I agree with you as per the LAST time I forgot about the enlargements bringing out nicks and hits which you reminded me of. As my post just before yours says, I will not make the same mistake a third time!!! 893frustrated.gif

Thanks John, for reminding me again. I won't let it happen again. makepoint.gif

P.S. What do you think of my 64 grade-wise? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hi David,

From the images I would grade it MS-63. It has a pretty good step area, not full, but more than enough detail to make the step area look pleasing to the naked eye at normal size I’m sure.

John