• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I'm at my wit's end, and about to go completely darkside.

13 posts in this topic

It is becoming so frustrating competing with deep pocket collectors who can spend gazillions of $ on coins I want. Although I have purchased some cool US commems over the last 6 months, I have to resort to breaking piggy banks open to pay for them. Thus, I am actually contemplating going back to my original coin collecting days until this cycle has passed. Revolutionary MEXICO and before. Great history, not expensive, fairly easy to find. Should I do it, should I go back? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

TRUTH

You should only do it if you are planning on making a clean break. Send me a list of those commems you have (nicely toned only of course) and I'll see if I can get you a nice stash to buy up some of those Mexico issues.

I've been having similar fantasies myself. After bidding a break the bank kind of dollar on a proof half cent I didn't get, I was kind of half glad I didn't get it. At the same time I'm looking at some foriegn coins...there are really some beautiful ones out there, and currency and not thinking about any particular plan or finance, just looking at the ones that really grab me...and I'm wondering..what's the point of it all anyway...why not just go for it?

I have occasionally set a collection aside when I got priced out of the market, but usually I go ahead and sell it. It's probably a lot different for someone who collects only a few things; it's no doubt pretty hard to part with it.

Revolutionary Mexico is one of the few areas I don't collect.

On a serious note................

When I look at some of the older large European silver pieces, and the very low prices they sell for, I often consider the move myself. Alot of the pieces are sooooooooooo much prettier than almost anything that ever came out of our mint. It's really sad actually.

However, market sustainablity is such a big issue for me and I just don't know what the future will hold for such pieces. I'm not looking to make money, just not lose any! Common sense would dictate that they will rise in price, butwhen has common sense ever been so common in the collectibles market? confused-smiley-013.gif

Thus, I am actually contemplating going back to my original coin collecting days until this cycle has passed. Revolutionary MEXICO and before. Great history, not expensive, fairly easy to find. Should I do it, should I go back? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

TRUTH

Oh great just what I need - more competition grin.gif

By all means truth - do so. Columnarios are and always will be my first love in coins. Just sumpin about 'em cloud9.gif

Coin collecting isn't much fun if all you do is save money for a coin that may never come (at least at a reasonable price), so why not branch out? I'd say go for it, just make sure to avoid those nasty German and Austrian coins. 893whatthe.gif

-JamminJ

OR......you can find a different facet to fuel your collecting needs, at least temporarily. Endless options exist. Hold onto your true love, but don't be afraid to enter a different, afforadable world. However if you still want to sell, I've been thinking about a few Comms!

I actually just went over to the darkside with few purchases in the recent auctions. I think there is quite a lot of potential (undervalued) in world rare coins. The mintage numbers are amazingly low. The prices are low because of lack of demand, but the world becomes more wealthy I think this will change.

I actually just went over to the darkside with few purchases in the recent auctions. I think there is quite a lot of potential (undervalued) in world rare coins. The mintage numbers are amazingly low. The prices are low because of lack of demand, but the world becomes more wealthy I think this will change.

It may end up having more to do with the original post of this thread than anything else. As the prices of US coins climb to levels the majority of collectors cannot afford - they tend to move elsewhere.

For it is the love of the coins, the designs, the beauty, the history and the love of collecting itself that truly drives this pursuit of ours. It is only a select few - thank God - who participate with other goals in mind.

For it is the love of the coins, the designs, the beauty, the history and the love of collecting itself that truly drives this pursuit of ours. It is only a select few - thank God - who participate with other goals in mind.

AMEN! thumbsup2.gif

John