• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I saw this across the street.

16 posts in this topic

This is absolutely crazy!!!! Why would anyone pay $200 only to have the coin bodybagged or returned in the same grade. It truly sounds like desperation and I would be interested in knowing how many people actually use this service.

TRUTH

Hmmm. So why is it crazy for PCGS [or any company, for that matter] to offer another service? If I had a $50k coin I had sold pending crossover, you bet I'd pay the $200 and not even think twice about it. Oops...there I go again... defending the indefensible! wink.gif

Well, a new service at that level gives the grading service a new reason or excuse to push turnaround time slower and slower for lower tiered submissions. For PCGS, I really think turnaround could and should be much better at every level. So why discount for volume submissions then? Why not keep a rigid price structure for every coin? A $200 fee, in my opinion, makes it appear to some the grading service only wants the $$$$. Many years ago, if I remember correctly, coins used to be a hobby.

TRUTH

I'd have to agree with ALL of you (easy way out!). laugh.gif

The fact is that it IS crazy but if you don't want to pay it DON'T!

What TRUTH said is just about it. GRADING seems to be the only subject these days in the coin market. Letters to CW always talk about it. It's all you hear at shows. Message boards? Same thing. GRADING is the coin market now. The coins? I dunno...they seemed to have been pushed to the background.

The Slab is King. Long Live the King. NOT!

jom

I guess it's like anything else in business - if someone will pay it, why not ask? If some people are willing to pay PCGS $200 to encapsulate a coin, they should go for it.

Could it actually be a clever advertising scheme? Could they be asking an over-the-top amount to give their service that Rolls Royce aura?

James

If I pay $200 for a slab, I want a Rolls-Royce slab, with gold lettering on the insert and chrome trim on the slab, not the same hoky-poky plastic like with economy service. 893frustrated.gif I want my slab to look like it has more horsepower too!

TRUTH

I guess it's like anything else in business - if someone will pay it, why not ask? If some people are willing to pay PCGS $200 to encapsulate a coin, they should go for it.

Could it actually be a clever advertising scheme? Could they be asking an over-the-top amount to give their service that Rolls Royce aura?

James

I heard that you can get "Champagne" service for $500. You get a glass of bubbly and a foot massage while you wait.

27_laughing.gif

James

I heard that you can get "Champagne" service for $500. You get a glass of bubbly and a foot massage while you wait.

27_laughing.gif

Don't laugh! In a sense, that is offered now what with PCGS's "Dealer's Only" invite a couple times a year. The price tag? Submit a lot of twenty (or more?) at "Same Day" Service. PCGS takes you out to dinner, usually an evening cruise or something along those lines, while your coins are being graded.

I have coins from all the services. It seems to me that there is an alot of whining about pcgs over here. Could be a case of "[!@#%^&^] envy" perhaps? blush.gif
Maybe you should go back and read how many times pcgs is brought up over here.

We don't have the ngc staff posting here like across the street because they don't need to cover their asses like david ([!@#%^&^] the little guy) hall.

When they do post it's usually to announce a new Innovation to grading or a new designation. But don't worry because after NGC does this pcgs usually catches on and adopts the same practice.

The other reason is usually to answer a specific question. They will even call you to insure that a question is completely cleared up.

Every one on this board is a collector of COINS.

You can take your [!@#%^&^] envy and have pcgs shove it in some plastic.

But be careful....They don't guaranty the pedigree.

And basically david ([!@#%^&^] the little guy) hall ,Stole money and reputation from a couple guys over here.

You are judged by the lying thief you defend.

I have coins from all the services. It seems to me that there is an alot of whining about pcgs over here. Could be a case of "[!@#%^&^] envy" perhaps? blush.gif

flamed.gifflamed.gifflamed.gif