• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Review of (20) 2009 Proof Sets

10 posts in this topic

Opened 20 of the 2009 Proof sets I received directly from the mint this afternoon.

Here is my opinion.

1) Lincoln Cents. Pretty consistent. All appear to be nice cameos. No standouts, but good quality.

2) Presidential Dollars. Nothing special. Basically a pretty dismal design.

3) Quarters. All sets deep cameo. Excellent quality. Consistent in all sets, PF-70 quality across the board.

4) Nickel, Dime, Halves.....typically mundane, but a few of the nickels stood out as spectacular on the reverse. A few of the nickels were Outstanding (yet most were unimpressive). Most dimes and halves generally not impressive.

That's my report.

Well here is my report!!

I bought 10 proof set and I spent some time pulling out ones that I didn't think would get 70.

Here is what I ended up with

(7) Jefferson's

(4) Roosevelt's

(2) Kennedy's

(6) Sacagawea's

Out of 40 coins I pulled out 21 coins, I was hoping for a little better quality.

There was lots of frost breaks on the coins and the Kennedy's had markings on the shield.

I did a quick look over of the Lincolns and didn't find anything shocking.

I didn't look at the Presidential Dollars or the Quarters.

..........you guys did pretty well. however, mine where sent back with spots on the half's, dimes, and black smears on the lincolns. got my replacements and GUESS WHAT? lincolns with smears! you'd think the mint would (this time at least) INSPECT THEM BEFORE THEY SHIPPED THE REPLACEMENTS, EH? rantrant

I went through 65 proof sets and none really stood out as exceptional quality. I personally think that the US Mint is pumping these out a lot faster than they should as way to many coins are making it into the sets.

As for inspecting them for quality, it appears to be just too costly for them to do.

The dealer from whom I bought my set had three of them. Every one had one or more spots on the Zachery Taylor dollar. I wonder why he was singled out? (shrug)

I went through 65 proof sets and none really stood out as exceptional quality. I personally think that the US Mint is pumping these out a lot faster than they should as way to many coins are making it into the sets.

As for inspecting them for quality, it appears to be just too costly for them to do.

......it may be too costly but i still think it is UNACCEPTABLE! hm

Rec'd 10 Silver Quarter sets today. All are PF-70 DCAM in my opinion. Maybe the mint likes me?