• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the coin with the most value in your collection?

30 posts in this topic

Basically what coin would you never sell!! This doesn't have to be the coin you paid the most for or even the coin that cost the most.

Please also post a picture!!

Mine is my 1932-S Quarter that my grandpa gave me when I was 16. He carried it in the little pocket on his bibs for over 10 years.

He said it was his lucking coin and he didn't leave home with out it. This coin will never ever be sold!! I plan to send it to NGC in a few weeks.

1932-S.jpg

Thanks Jaime

Here's one I found in my change about 10-12 years ago.

There it was on the kitchen counter as I emptied my pocket.

I have many of valuable coins but this one "found me!"

Never will be sold by me

Larry

82062.jpg.b5f3c4b7c00d2c5611d5f978b191c0ab.jpg

That's a cool story, Jaime. Now, you need to AT that sucker! :devil:

Here is a coin that I bought on a whim from Mark Feld back in early 2005. Surprisingly, it lingered on his website for quite awhile.

I plan on keeping it for a very long while. The coin just fascinates me. Not only is it a very choice, original circulated gold coin from the year of the Alamo, but it represents an era long past in our nation's history.

Besides, I love the Elvis thing going on with the lips. lol

It is a dramatic, skillful reworking over the previous type!

82065.jpg.910db8a3ce8e9871076be8cfd8964a54.jpg

Mine would have to be the 1909 vdb s my grandfather kept for so many years in his whitman album. I remember growing up he would always set down with me and show me his coins. Everytime I went to his house I would ask him if i could see my penny. I remember him always telling me that one day that one coin would be mine, I use to always rub on it as a child knowing that one day I would have that very special coin. later after he passed away I found out just how special that one coin was. Not that it is the most sought-after penny there is, but because he left that one coin just for me to remember him by. I would not take a million dollars for this coin if it was offered. There is no money in the world that could replace my grandfather, and the memories he left me.

http://www2.snapfish.com/slideshow/AlbumID=905683023/PictureID=22545383023/a=1112507023_1112507023

Another wonderful story! :applause:

My grandpa died in 1990 at 82, peaceful in his sleep. I don't grieve for him but I sure miss him. I wish that I had something so tangible to remind me of him.

I have two answers:

1. I have a Library of Coins album of Indian Head Cents. While I have added coins to that album, it was given to me by my grandfather. If I had to divest every coin I own for whatever reason, I would not sell this album.

2. The attached picture was taken before submitting the coin to NGC for grading. It returned as AU58BN. It was bought raw as an XF/AU. I nearly hit the floor when the coin came back as AU58! But look at that doubling!!

Scott :hi:

82082.jpg.17c8ebb1ff2dd65071a158cb51097ca6.jpg

Coins with the most sentimental value?

3 sets of circ Jefferson nickles

3 sets of 1941- 1987 Lincoln Pennys

1 set of UNC Jefferson nickles

1 partial set of XF and above buffalo nickles

1 partial set of G-VG Liberty nickles

1 partial set of eagle/indian head cents

A couple of mint sets from the late '70s

All of the above were given to me by my Great Grandfather in the mid to late '80s

The coin that I own with the most monetary value?

Probably one of these two, I am not sure which one has more collector value...

1806 Half Dollar

IMG_0495.jpg

IMG_0496.jpg

1794 Cent. This is the first 18th century Federal minted coin I ever saw in hand.

IMG_1209.jpg

IMG_1211.jpg

I will never sell my Gr. Grandfathers coins and I doubt I will ever sell the 1806 half or 1794 Cent.

This coin was left to me by my Grandma, along with a bunch of other coins. This was the bes Morgan of the bunch. It would be very hard to part with, but never is an aweful long time.

JJ

1888O.jpg1888R.jpg

I guess the one I would never part with is this one - it's not the best example around but I love the history it represents.

64797129.jpg

64797130.jpg

That coin has a little bit of almost all the mint errors possible. Die clash, planchet flaws, off center, - and I love all of it.

Well I have a few that I value very much! This is one of them. My only gold that I own. A Christmas present from my wife!

2005tenthozgoldeagleobvrev.jpg

A Christmas present from my wife!

Any wife that buys you a coin(s) is a good wife in my eyes.

Everyone knows how crazy some of us can get over coin collecting and then for them to buy us coins is the best!!

Well I have a few that I value very much! This is one of them. My only gold that I own. A Christmas present from my wife!

2005tenthozgoldeagleobvrev.jpg

That is one nice half-eagle. Really can't be a value on something that is invaluable.

Understood.

(thumbs u

Given the right circumstances (or wrong circumstances, as the case may be doh! ) or given an insane offer, pretty much every coin of mine would be for sale. However, I've been offered some pretty stupid prices for some of my coins and that still hasn't pried them out of my hand. Here are some coins that are in that category...

CottonCandyObv2.jpg

CottonCandyReverse.jpg

DrapedBust_MS61.jpg

CappedBust29MS63.jpg

For a self proclaimed "non US collector", I sure have a lot of US coins now :cloud9:

I think I would sell any, as you say in the right circumstances. How do I choose just one ? well, they are all moderns, so here is one

3085446-032R.jpg

This one has the greatest monetary value, and also is the most satisfying because it was a $96 cherry pick. I had been looking to snag one cheap for 8 years. Searching far and wide on the web for unattributed specimens that other fanatics missed. It paid off. In spades!

O-114 Large Letter Reverse, NGC VF 35

100_1949.jpg

100_1950.jpg

The one that I paid the most money for is this 1814/3 (from Sheridan Downey)

100_1883.jpg

100_1884.jpg

that 1814/3 is awesome!

The coin thanks you for the compliment. ;)

I got very lucky on this one. Seems like everyone wants it!