• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

okie; coin guru's what is the only coin photographed in red book that is holed??

36 posts in this topic

now YOU CANT GO LOOK

YOU NEED TO take an EDUCATED GUESS if you dont know UNLESS YOU ALREADY KNOW.................... :flamed:

but here are a few clues

1) it is unique

2) it is silver

good luck

and please no cheating (see the above)

That's what I was about to ask, the silver center cent. But it's really not holed, but was before the silver center was added.

OK so I cheated becuase I knew for sure that the Janus copper is pictured in the Red Book and is holed. It is also unique. But it is not silver.

I do know the answer now and I must point out to Micheal that there are two holed coins pictured in the Red Book.

Now I should point out that the coin that Micheal is thinking of is NOT the Janus copper. So let the games continue. (thumbs u

I have an old copy with a bullet hole through it. Many of the coins are holed....

I have an old copy with a bullet hole through it. Many of the coins are holed....
Man, I would love to hear the rest of that story!

Man, I would love to hear the rest of that story!

Lets just say it involves a crazy ex-wife, an Argentinian mistress, a dog, and an antique Colt revolver.

Man, I didn't know that there were that many Okie coin gurus around. None of you ever come to the club meetings. ;)

By the way, this Okie coin guy didn't know the answer.

I was thinking "Mass silver", but wasn't sure which it might be! Seems to me there was a holed Washington funeral piece in some past edition as well, but I'm not sure if it was silver.

I was thinking "Mass silver", but wasn't sure which it might be! Seems to me there was a holed Washington funeral piece in some past edition as well, but I'm not sure if it was silver.

Is the Washington funeral piece a coin or a medallion?

Massachusetts NE three pence.

The only known example is in the Massachusetts Historical Society collection.

:applause: :applause: :applause:

janus copper is not a coin and never officially issued by anyone

it is a total fantasy

eventually they should de-list this item from the red book (tsk)

:applause: :applause:

I do not posses a photographic memory nor do I own this specimen, so I do not have a clue.

When you say holed, you mean post-mint hole, correct?

janus copper is not a coin and never officially issued by anyone

it is a total fantasy

eventually they should de-list this item from the red book (tsk)

I guess I should say that I misspoke. It is not the Janus copper that is holed its the "indian" or "Province" Massachusetts copper. I was intrigued by you saying that the Janus copper is not a coin so I did some research. I opened my recently bought copy of Bower's Encyclopedia of Early American Coins and saw that there is very little known about the pine tree copper the Province copper or the Janus copper. He has them listed as patterns.

What is your take on this?

I do not posses a photographic memory nor do I own this specimen, so I do not have a clue.

When you say holed, you mean post-mint hole, correct?

Yes

quote""""It is not the Janus copper that is holed its the "indian" or "Province" Massachusetts copper""""

the indian or province copper is another name for the janus copper all are one in the same

but it is a strange item that is historical but just no one knows the how, why or where it comes from but it is a holed intreging piece nonetheless

great research by the way (thumbs u