• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Franklin Half Dollar Unique Die Trial Piece

27 posts in this topic

Saw this article in the latest NGC e-newsletter, and I thought it was super cool!

http://www.ngccoin.com/news/viewarticle.aspx?NewsletterNewsArticleID=600

An unusual and likely unique Franklin Half Dollar die trial illustrates the careful consideration underlying the placement and appearance of the designer's initials.

Among the interesting “stuff” in Appendix A of the Judd book (United States Pattern Coins, 10th Edition, Whitman Publishing, LLC) is number J-A1948-2. This is a uniface, obverse die trial for the Franklin Half Dollar dated 1948. Judd lists it as white metal, but it appears to be simply lead. The reverse of this trial impression is plain, save for the target-like concentric circles imparted by the engine lathe and a single numeral 2 punched into it.

The truncation of Franklin's bust shows two sets of the designer's initials.

What makes this trial so interesting, however, is that it bears two sets of designer’s initials at the truncation of the bust. It’s a well known story how John Ray Sinnock’s initials “JS” on the 1946 Roosevelt Dime were interpreted by some alarmists as a reference to the dreaded Josef Stalin. The U. S. Mint wasn’t taking any chances with its new half dollar, and all three initials “JRS” were included. In this trial piece, the letters appear in both the familiar position with the letters nearly upright and also further to the right in italic form. As issued, the Franklin half utilized italic initials, but these were placed to the left.

This die trial is believed to be unique and serves as the plate coin in the Judd reference. It was acquired by its present owner from a Herbert Melnick auction of November 19-20, 1982, listed as Lot 49. It was authenticated at the time by the late Charles R. Hoskins but, appearing at a slow period in the coin market, drew little attention at the time. Though it carries no other provenance, it was most likely a souvenir retained by Gilroy Roberts, Chief Engraver of the U. S. Mint 1948-65, who completed the models of the Franklin coin after designer Sinnock died in 1947. It is graded MS-60 by NGC.

It is graded MS-60 by NGC.

How can a lead trial slug that was never intended to be kept by anyone aquire a Mint State-60 grade?

How can a lead trial slug that was never intended to be kept by anyone aquire a Mint State-60 grade?

A lot of presentation coins are listed as PF so I would tend to agree with the esteemed representative of the great state of Texas!

Take a look at the pictures, it looks worse than a 60, I would think PF53?

And, if there's a 2 on the reverse, does that mean there's a #1?

3014375-012o_rlg.jpg

3014375-012r_rlg.jpg

It - and similar unique coins - are given the highest grade possible without looking ridiculous. That way it likely stays in slab it is in.

It is interesting that the white prongs don't appear to cover the obverse face like many of the other white prong slabs in the wild:

3014375-012o_hlg.jpg

It - and similar unique coins - are given the highest grade possible without looking ridiculous. That way it likely stays in slab it is in.

Any fluctuation in resubmission grades may be too easy to track with unique pieces....

Maybe PW-60 (as in Paper Weight) because that's what I think Gilroy Roberts used it as.

It is still probably the neatest Franklin struck object ever produced. It's amazing how these items surface into collectors hands. Glad to see it authenticated by NGC, but I just don't agree on the Mint State condition.

I'm sure it was discussed before the label went on.

The item is a lead cliché struck from an unhardened test die. Its purpose was to give Mint Director Ross a sample of size and position for the designer’s initials. It is one of the few such pieces that can be connected directly to original correspondence.

As far as condition…who cares? It’s a little beat up, but it was never intended to last. That it survived is almost miraculous. It must have been saved by Ross or engraver Roberts (or someone connected with them).

Lastly, the “grade” refers to the state of preservation: the piece has no wear, but is banged up = Unc for wear.

Actually, it has that nice lead patina look to it and I think I can can see a bit of luster poking through the engine lathe turnings on the reverse.

I too wondered about the 2 stamped into the reverse. Is this referencing die #2 or trial strike #2...what?

And yes, I would have prefered it to be labled SP-60

This is one of those really neat items where the grade, so long as the piece is not badly damaged, is really secondary. I must say that I'm suprised that it made its way out of the U.S. mint. And it is wonderful lttle snapshot of numismatic history.

To me, that little lead piece has more character, historical significance and value that a whole pile of $4 gold Stellas.

The documents not only tell who made it, when and why, but we can see the decision made by the mint director based on the sample. Excellent historical stuff.

I must say that I'm suprised that it made its way out of the U.S. mint.
How did this make it out of the mint?

I'm guessing it may be easier to hold on to this than say a 1933 double eagle or 1964-D peace dollar given that it's not a coin.

it was most likely a souvenir retained by Gilroy Roberts, Chief Engraver of the U. S. Mint 1948-65, who completed the models of the Franklin coin after designer Sinnock died in 1947. It is graded MS-60 by NGC.
If that's true, would it have been legal or illegal for Gilroy Roberts to remove it from the mint?

Is there any chance this could have been removed illegally and for the US government to reclaim it?

Were 1913 Liberty nickles removed legaly from the mint? hm
I thought the story is that those were fantasy pieces and were not made at the mint?

Ok if those where not mint made then what about the plethora of pattern peices out there, were they legaly removed?

I really don't know the answers to these questions. :blush:

Most of these things were considered junk and thrown away after they served their purpose.

I believe the 1913 Liberty nickels were made at the mint by a mint employee from dies that were already crafted by the mint for use and that were supposed to be destroyed. Obviously, before they were destroyed, at least 5 pieces were struck and were removed illegally. All were originally owned by a guy named Samuel Brown, who just happened to be a US Mint employee in 1913, but who supposedly had purchased them. I'm sure we can all read between the lines there, but then again, that's just speculation. Of course, all five of the coins were purchased by a very prominent member of society, Colonel Green, and that's why I believe that they were allowed to stay publicly owned.

I would love to hear other ideas on this as well, this is just one point of view, my own, on this subject.

The coin should have been BB for "cuts".
I agree. It's hard to see that as problem free.

A nice clear prong NCS holder would have been more appropriate.

Fun stuff!!! As to grade, gimme' a break. It's unique (well, maybe not with the #2, but it probably is unique)... so who cares what the grade is?