• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Both D and P in same roll

6 posts in this topic

I have $25 presidential dollar rolls from the US Mint that have both P and D minted coins within the same roll. Is this very unusual?

Yes, these are coins from the Direct Ship Program that have no mint designation on the outside of the rolls, they look like regular rolls that banks receive, not the red-white-blue rolls that have mint labeled on the outside.

Welcome bou man. That's very interesting that these would be mixed in Mint Rolls. I've never heard of it so it's pretty unusual to me!

Roll.jpg

Do your rolls look like this?

Note, this coin roll is a US Mint product and the mint mark that will appear on the coins is mentioned on the label. In this case, all the Presidential Dollars in this roll will have the D for Denver mint mark.

Welcome.

When you say "From the US Mint" I'd bet that they're wrapped by a third party wrapping company, such as NF String & Son(s?). These wrappers are white with red stripes on them.

In that case, it's not impossible to get mixed-mint rolls.

When you say "From the US Mint" I'd bet that they're wrapped by a third party wrapping company, such as NF String & Son(s?). These wrappers are white with red stripes on them.

In that case, it's not impossible to get mixed-mint rolls.

I believe String only makes the paper wrapper for rolls and doesn't actually roll any coins.

Normally these brand new coins are fed from huge bags into a hopper which isn't always emptied first. This will create mixed rolls until all the coins that had been in the hopper are emptied out.

I'd guess these coins were rolled in an area (middle of the country) that just happened to get shipments of new coins from both mints and some coins were just mixed in the hopper.

It could also be a smaller outfit just rolling coins for some specific useand obtained their coins from multiple (non FED) sources.

Hi! Bou Man, the roll you probably have is the roll from the mint bought through the "Direct Shipping Program" where you can buy the roll for face value and free shipping. It was created to get the coins into public circulation and both P and D are mixed in together, it's not working. They are selling on ebay for $30.00 or more. I used to buy them to check for errors but some of the coins have been circulated already, sorry. marchas45