• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best pic you ever took!!

192 posts in this topic

Here is what I think is the best coin picture I've ever taken. At least of the pictures I've saved.It is an 82CCnMorgan dollar in the GSA package graded by NGC. I took this one about a year ago with almost zero knowledge of what I was doing. It's my favorite bought as is coin(bought in th slab). You might want to guess the grade too..It might surprise you.

My 2nd favorite is a Morgan I paid $30 for and held on to for 6 or more months that I just last week got back from NGC graded MS 64 DPL. Now that was a wonderful moment!! So,how's this one?

BTW, I used either a Canon A560 or a 2 year old Sony something. I think it was the Canon as around the time was borrowing the Sony until I bought my own. There were certain things I realy liked about the Sony but the A560 is more consistent.

82cc1.jpg

Grade guess 65PL on the 1882cc GSA. Very nice picture Prudden! What type of lighting was used? I use incandescent light/soft white and no flash. Set the WB to incandescent. Any pointers will be appreciated. Thanks, Tim

Looks like MS64/65 DMPL...very nice coin! Please share with us where you get MS64 DPL's for $30.00. I'll go as high as $40.00...lol.

Ok these are not the best pictures that I will ever take, but because I just received my new camera I thought I would post some pics. Canon Power Shot XS10 IS in Macro Mode, one Ott-Lite. I love the camera , it is as close to an entry level SLR as you can get.

I am new to this and trying to figure out the best lighting angles .

81751.jpg.b675b8bcbc4cebc3d3bbfb9a25e0a30a.jpg

81752.jpg.34ff1998fa48368756964e50834feff8.jpg

81753.jpg.fc3cc21d37e354f81aa8778cb3c842a6.jpg

81754.jpg.d9482843e22ed82ead501f44b040feb1.jpg

I wish I could do a better job w/ this.. From my watch fob collection left to me from my Grandfather, It seems to blur.. Def not my best photo, I never knew this was so detailed.

bcruze22watchfobs016.jpg

Camera and lens are pretty much moot, technique is the key factor!

I'm a rank amature as far as technique is concerned. :shy:

I just throw an image in the mix...........

1939sMercObv.jpg

1939dMercRev.jpg

Nothing amatuer about that photo at all. That is one of the best photos I have ever seen of a Mercury Dime. Other than some lighting hot spots, that photo approaches perfection. What I am trying to say is that photo is DAMN GOOD. (worship)

I use a cheapo Sony Mavica 10X zoom ( the camera is so outdated that it uses floppy discs !!)...and halogen lamps with flexible goose necks clipped onto the desk ..Camera : $25 on ebay..lights: about $40 each ( they are circular with the magnifier in the middle)

strictly amateur compared to you others..and many of you know how I struggle with getting Walker details to show..but with enough trys I usually can get one that is acceptable...

81865.jpg.7250d3f62f28ee0f46a909028f8b92e1.jpg

81866.jpg.48752cccc32f5957a301bc381d5ce7cb.jpg

Not sure if this is my best picture or my favorite coin, but it's one I never get tired of seeing. Notice the die breaks on both sides. Below is the set-up I used - it's a Nikon D200, Nikon 105, f2.8 macro lens, and Nikon RC1 macro flash unit with three heads.

71125415.jpg

71125416.jpg

71126333.jpg

That obverse is spectacular. The reverse seems to be a bit out of focus? I read a tip from Mark Goodman ATS, he said if you focus on the fields you'll have a better outcome.

I'll help you get a camera, you know what coins I want!! lol
And you sir! Quit coveting my SMS cameos!!!! Get your own! :sumo::grin: