• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which of these CBH's should I keep?

Which one do you like better?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Which one do you like better?

16 posts in this topic

I've got 2 1830 Capped Bust Halves, and I'm trying to decide if I want to keep both of them, or if I get rid of one which one to keep. Both are graded XF-45, although I think the NGC one is a little undergraded. So, tell me which one you like better. First up is an NGC O-118, R3. Let me just say, I really don't like the prongs, so that is a con for this coin, but being undergraded is a pro for it. Next up is a PCGS O-105, R4. I like that this one is rarer.

NGC:

3258563-005O.jpg

3258563-005R.jpg

PCGS:

CI30-45.jpg

I would hasitate to call the PCGS coin XF45, unless it has ample luster. I would hesitate to call the NGC coin anything less than AU50, unless it doesn't have ample luster.

I like the NGC one better too. I don't care for the quality of the PCS one nor do I care for that ebay sellers' coins either. Also I have never heard of not keeping a coin becasue one doesn't like what the holder is comprised of ie in this case prongs. I believe you are shooting yourself in the foot with that line of reasoning. I also take it that you are not into die marriages since these are two different marriages with two different rarities ratings and yet your are deciding which one to keep as if they are dupes of one another.

From the images, the NGC coin is clearly the better piece for grade. R.3 vs. R.4 doesn't realistically mean much at this level, especially if the goal is to fill a need for type. That said, both appear to be very nice coins.

I voted NGC.

Give or take a little detail here and there on both coins, I think they are both correctly graded. If the colors are spot-on, then I actually like the Pcgs coin better!

The PCGS example looks more evenly toned. I know the NGC example is a better strike, or better grade, but it looks more mottled. Also the NGC coin has what looks to me like a rubber band mark head band. To me this is distracting.

I'm gonna have to vote PCGS as the keeper, but I'll let you know, my first opinion, based solely on grade, was to keep the NGC coin. I'd be interested to see what you think when you have them both in hand... that is if you already don't.

I do not like the rubber band mark on the NGC coin, so I would not the coin.

The PCGS R4 may look more worn, but this is the second mating of this obverse, so it may only appear to look more worn in the pictures. It is very hard to find an R4 like this one in a PCGS holder. No question, I would strongly recommend keeping the PCGS coin.

I do not like the rubber band mark on the NGC coin, so I would not the coin.

The PCGS R4 may look more worn, but this is the second mating of this obverse, so it may only appear to look more worn in the pictures. It is very hard to find an R4 like this one in a PCGS holder. No question, I would strongly recommend keeping the PCGS coin.

I agree. I like the look of that PCGS coin more, and for an R4, its a good keep.

Well, although I don't care for the new NGC pronged holders, I do like the looks of the NGC coin better. I agree with Dean as far as it looking AU.

BUT....

the original question was which of these should you keep and although I voted for the NGC slabbed busty the answer is KEEP 'EM BOTH :)

The PCGS' overgrade is for far more slight than the NGC is undergrade. I like the PCGS for the simple fact that the black streak across the obverse of the NGC coin bothers me. But that is only my opinion. Choose whichever one YOU like better. Enjoy!